Personality Testing in Worcester, MA—Psychological Testing and Assessment
Imagine: You are working a job that you went to school for and are performing pretty well. The job is not everything you hoped for but it’s not something you dread either. Deep down inside, you feel like there is something else out there that would be a better fit for you. You just don’t know what. You’ve tried searching the internet, talking to friends and family, and still, nothing is jumping out at you. Working in cosmetology sounds fun, you just don’t like the idea of having to talk to people all day. Working as a freelance writer is also creative, but you feel like it’s too isolating. How do you move forward?
Personality is every individual’s signature trait. There will never be anyone like you, therefore hold on to what makes you so special as a person, a character, and a human being.”
If you wish you could understand yourself on a deeper level and use that understanding to better your life, you could benefit from taking a personality test at Thriveworks Worcester Counseling. Your personality determines how you communicate with others, how you cope after a traumatic event, how you perform at your job. Learning more about your personality traits can help you in many different ways. To schedule your assessment, or another form of psychological testing, reach out to us today (508) 409-6134.
What Is Personality Testing?
A personality test is used to assess your personality traits. It measures different characteristics that you present in different situations such as when you are alone, in social situations, at work, in a pinch. These characteristics make up who you are. By learning more about your personality, it can help you figure out where the friction is in your life and what areas might need changing. There are two basic types of personality tests, which are:
- Self-report inventories: This type of test presents different questions and statements that ask you to describe your personal qualities. These tests require you to be open and honest with yourself. The most well-known self-report inventory is the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI). It contains over 500 different statements that assess different areas such as interpersonal relationships, psychological health, abnormal behaviors, sexual attitudes, religion, and political views. Self-report inventories are often reliable and easy.
- Projective tests: Projective tests present you scenes, images, or words and ask you to respond to them. The goal is to identify emotions associated with the information provided in order to address them in counseling. A well-known projective test is the Rorschach Inkblot Test which asks clients to look at a series of inkblot images and interpret what they see. These tests are most often used in psychotherapy and allow your therapist to understand you on a deeper level.
Whether you just want to learn more about yourself, are looking to change your career, or wish you could understand why certain situations may affect you differently than others, you could benefit from taking a personality test. At Thriveworks Worcester, we can take your results to help you come up with a plan of action moving forward.
Why Should I Get a Personality Test?
Personality tests benefit people for many different reasons. Sean Hayes PsyD of Thriveworks Counseling in Sterling, VA explains: “We can learn a lot about a person from personality testing. As with other types of testing, personality testing works by comparing a client’s responses to other people who have already responded. We know things about those other people, such as that some of them don’t like being around people. We then use those results to better describe someone. This can be helpful for many situations, like finding ways that a couple can get along better.”
Here are some other situations in which personality testing can prove helpful:
- Job placement: Whether you are just starting out in your career or have been working for over 10 years, if something feels off, chances are there is a better job fit for you. In addition, an employer may have you perform a personality test to see what setting you might work best in. Are you better at being a leader or a follower? Are you a solo worker or prefer to work in teams? Can you perform repetitive tasks, or do you need variety? These questions can all be answered through a personality assessment.
- Understand yourself more: These tests can help you identify if you are more introverted or extroverted, how you communicate, and more. For example, if you know that you are naturally introverted, you can acknowledge when your social battery is running out and schedule some time to spend alone.
- Diagnosing psychological concerns: You may be suffering from a low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, etc. Personality assessments can help your psychologist understand your traits and use them to help identify the root causes of these concerns.
Schedule a Personality Test at Thriveworks Worcester, MA
If you decide to pursue one of these assessments, it’s important to be honest with yourself and to go slowly. Avoid trying to guess what you think is the “best” answer and reflect on how you actually feel and think. The professionals at Thriveworks Worcester are trained and highly skilled in administering personality tests and can help you moving forward once you receive your results. If you have a goal or challenge you would like to conquer, we can help you.
To get started with psychological testing, visit our online booking portal or call us at (508) 409-6134. We have online and in-person options available as well as flexible scheduling options. We have appointments available during regular hours, evenings, and weekends. Just let our scheduling specialists know what works best for you and your schedule.