Millions of people experience anxiety every day in the United States alone. While some level of anxiety is normal in high-stress situations, people with anxiety disorders can suffer from symptoms that significantly interfere with their daily life.
Have you ever experienced the following?
- A friend invites you to a party. Instead of feeling excited, you’re terrified at the thought of having to talk to people you don’t know.
- One day, being in a crowd triggers a panic attack. Ever since that day, you start avoiding crowds as much as possible.
- You’re having trouble sleeping because your worries keep you up at night.
These aren’t the only symptoms of an anxiety disorder, and your specific experience with anxiety could look very different. Thankfully, support is available. Anxiety psychiatrists specialize in the treatment and management of a wide variety of anxiety disorders. People with any form of persistent anxiety can benefit from working with a psychiatrist.
Are you struggling with anxiety and want support? Anxiety psychiatrists at Thriveworks Counseling in Silver Spring, MD are here to help. Call our office or use our simple online scheduling tool to get started today. Our scheduling team can answer any questions you have and set up your first appointment.
Most Common Symptoms and Types of Anxiety
Here are some of the most common types of anxiety disorders:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): This anxiety disorder is characterized by persistent and excessive worry about a wide variety of things. People with generalized anxiety disorder might worry about money, health, work, family, or anything else. It’s usually diagnosed when someone experiences these out-of-proportion worries nearly every day for six months or longer.
- Panic disorder: People with panic disorder experience panic attacks, which are intense bouts of fear, worry, and panic which can be accompanied by physical symptoms like sweating, trembling, and feeling like you can’t breathe. These attacks are often traumatizing and people with a panic disorder spend a lot of time worrying about when an attack could occur and focus on avoiding situations that could cause an attack.
- Social anxiety disorder: Also referred to as social phobia, this type of anxiety causes extreme fear of judgment in social settings. People with this disorder have difficulty talking to others, meeting new people, and attending social events. It’s typically diagnosed when these fears interfere with a person’s daily functioning.
Living with anxiety can be difficult but thankfully, help is available. Mental health professionals can treat anxiety disorders and help people live happier and calmer lives. Consider reaching out for help from a psychiatrist at Thriveworks Counseling in Silver Spring, MD if you’re looking for support.
Anxiety Psychiatrists: What Can They Do?
Psychiatrists are medical doctors who know how to diagnose, treat, and manage mental health problems. Anxiety psychiatrists are those who specialize in treating anxiety and creating treatment plans for people living with anxiety disorders.
Anxiety looks different for everyone so no two treatment plans will look exactly the same. Most anxiety psychiatrists work with their clients using psychotherapy, medication, or a combination of multiple treatment methods.
Psychotherapy, or talk therapy, involves speaking with your provider about how your anxiety impacts your life. They’ll work with you to help you understand your anxiety symptoms, what’s causing them, and how you can manage them. You’ll learn valuable techniques to lower your stress and reframe your thinking to help address anxious thoughts.
Medication is another tool in a psychiatrist’s arsenal. Some medications can help relieve symptoms of anxiety by targeting chemicals in the brain. Not all treatment plans will include a prescription, but it can be very helpful when paired with talk therapy. Your psychiatrist will make sure to explain what to expect from your medication and talk through any side effects that you might experience.
Overall, we want you to know that anxiety is treatable. Working with a psychiatrist from Thriveworks Counseling in Silver Spring, MD can help put you on the path to a better mental state.
Psychiatrist Appointments at Thriveworks in Silver Spring, MD
Have you ever struggled with anxiety and wanted to reach out for help? Anxiety psychiatrists from Thriveworks Counseling in Silver Spring, MD are available. Call our office today to get started with your first appointment.
Our anxiety psychiatrists meet with their clients through convenient online therapy appointments. You can work with a provider over the phone or through a video chat, allowing you to receive mental health care from the comfort of your own home. We also offer evening and weekend sessions, a flexible cancellation policy, and many of our new clients can meet with a provider within 24-48 hours.
We accept many major insurance plans and offer clients a number of other benefits including a 24-hour Q&A life coaching service, exclusive video content, and mobile billing and scheduling support.
You don’t have to face a mental illness alone –– psychiatrists at Thriveworks Counseling in Silver Spring, MD are here to support you.