Panic attack disorder therapy is a specialized therapeutic approach designed to help individuals suffering from recurrent and debilitating panic attacks. During therapy sessions, individuals work closely with trained Thriveworks Orlando therapists to identify and understand the triggers and thought patterns that contribute to their panic attacks. Through panic attack disorder therapy, individuals learn to manage their anxiety, develop coping strategies, and regain control over their lives, ultimately leading to a reduction in the severity of panic attacks.
Panic attack disorder therapy often utilizes cognitive-behavioral techniques like exposure therapy and relaxation exercises to help individuals manage and mitigate panic attacks. These methods involve desensitizing triggers, reducing physical and emotional symptoms, and challenging irrational thought patterns to empower individuals to recognize, control, and reduce the frequency and intensity of panic attacks.
Panic attacks are scary. If you suffer from them, you know this all too well. They can strike anywhere and at any time. People can experience panic attack while walking down the street, driving a car, shopping at the grocery store or riding an escalator… Nevertheless, counseling for panic attacks and panic disorder therapy can help deal with these problems. Consider reaching out to Thriveworks Orlando Counseling if you’re suffering with panic attacks.
According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) symptoms of panic attacks are:
- Palpitations, pounding heart, or an accelerated heart rate
- Trembling or shaking
- Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Nausea or abdominal distress
- Feeling dizzy, lightheaded, or faint
- Chills or heat sensations
- Paresthesia (“tingling” sensation in legs, arms, feet, etc.)
- Derealization or depersonalization
- Fear of losing control, “going crazy” or dying
According to the DSM-5, Panic disorder is diagnosed if:
- the individual has recurrent panic attacks (minimum four in a four-week period)
- at least one of the attacks is accompanied by persistent concern or worry about additional panic attacks or their effects (i.e., having a heart attack) and/or significant change in behavior due to attacks
Additionally, in order to diagnose panic disorder, it must be confirmed that the panic attacks are not caused by physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse or a medication) or another general medical condition.
Negative Effects of Panic Disorder
Panic disorder is a chronic, debilitating condition that can have a devastating impact on self-confidence, as well as on work, family and social life. The sufferers often begin to avoid situations in which panic attack occurred in the past. In severe cases, they can quit their job or even refuse to leave the house for fear of another attack occurring outside. Because of the severe anxiety associated with it, people suffering from panic disorder often find themselves in a situation where fear of an impending panic attack can actually cause the attack. All the symptoms associated with an attack are perceived with increased intensity, and this can be the actual trigger of an attack. Panic attacks and disorders can be effectively treated with a variety of methods. With a combination of psychological therapies and medication, many people have managed to overcome their fears.
If you decide to opt for a treatment option here at Orlando, whether it be panic attack counseling or panic disorder therapy, our expert consultants and therapists can offer a wide range of helpful services. In the course of your treatment we will aim to:
- Identify the root cause of the condition, and help you understand it
- Help you to view the attack-inducing situations in a different, much less threatening light
- Prepare you for facing these situations with techniques that will allow you to control your anxiety
We encourage you to contact us, and our qualified staff will help find a treatment suitable for you. We here at Thriveworks Orlando Counseling are at your disposal!