Trauma Therapy and PTSD Treatment in Milford, CT—New Haven Trauma Therapists and Counselors
Have you experienced a traumatic event firsthand? Were you a bystander of someone else’s distress? You might benefit from working with a trauma therapist, psychologist, or receiving PTSD treatment. Psychological trauma can be debilitating and come with harmful symptoms that make daily functioning near impossible. Be sure to get the assistance that you need to heal properly.
“I will breathe. I will think of solutions. I will not let my worries control me. I will not let my stress break me. I will simply breathe. And it will be okay… because I don’t quit.” –Shayne McClendon
Thriveworks Milford in New Haven offers trauma informed care, including trauma therapy and PTSD treatment. We can set you up with a caring, skilled professional who is eager to help you move forward. To schedule an appointment, simply call (203) 951-3871. A scheduling specialist will walk you through the easy steps to get all set up with trauma or PTSD therapist or psychologist. We look forward to hearing from you!
What Is PTSD? What Are PTSD Symptoms?
If you’re looking for a trauma definition, trauma stems from directly or indirectly experiencing a distressing event, such as physical assault or the loss of a loved one. These individuals have trouble functioning in their day to day post-trauma as they are forced to deal with harmful repercussions and symptoms. PTSD can be diagnosed in an individual who presents symptoms for at least an entire month post-trauma. That said, symptoms may not appear or become apparent until months or years later. PTSD is characterized by several main symptoms:
- The individual relives the traumatic experience through flashbacks or nightmares, which causes significant distress.
- The individual feels numb and avoids triggers (e.g., places, people, or events) that remind them of their traumatic experience.
- The individual experiences an increase in arousal in the form of sleep problems, difficulty concentrating, or irritability
Additionally, an individual might display feelings of detachment, a reduced interest in daily or once beloved activities, hypervigilance, reckless behavior, guilt, fear, anger, and more. These symptoms can vary on a case by case basis.
How Can Trauma and PTSD Therapy Help?
Trauma therapy and PTSD therapy aim to help people work through their psychological trauma. These professionals can help you manage PTSD symptoms, confront your triggers, and come to terms with your traumatic experience so that you can move forward with your life. There are several common approaches to trauma and PTSD therapy, of which include trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TFCBT), psychodynamic psychotherapy, and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). We’ll delve briefly into the basics of each:
- Trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy: TFCBT is designed to help clients address their thoughts and feelings related to the traumatic event. This approach is used with individuals of all ages and is typically short-term in nature.
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy: Psychodynamic psychotherapy helps victims of trauma by unveiling the contents of an individual’s unconscious mind. It is important that the client trusts their therapist and that the two are able to build a good relationship for this approach to work properly.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing: This newer approach to trauma and PTSD therapy is designed to help people better process their traumatic experience. The ultimate goal is to remove any blockages and in turn allow one’s mental health to flourish.
If you have witnessed a traumatic event, consider working with a trauma or PTSD therapist at Thriveworks Milford in New Haven. These professionals have helped many other people just like you to heal from their past and build a better future.
Work with a Trauma or PTSD Therapist or Psychologist at Thriveworks Milford in New Haven
Are you struggling with PTSD symptoms after experiencing a traumatic event? You don’t have to face this alone. Let a trauma or PTSD therapist at Thriveworks Milford in New Haven help you. These professionals have the skills, the training, and the experience you want your medical providers to have. They are able to help you manage your PTSD symptoms, better process the traumatic event, and pave a happy path for your future.
We are eager to help you live a better life. If you’re ready to schedule a trauma therapy or PTSD therapy appointment, reach out to Thriveworks Milford in New Haven today. You can give us a call at (203) 951-3871. We have extended availability including appointments in the evenings and on the weekends.