Panic Attack Disorder Therapy – Counselors and Coaches in Johnson City, TN
Panic attacks represent a terrifying experience of intense fear, accompanied by numerous somatic and psychological symptoms (see below). One can experience two or three panic attacks in a very short period of time, which can be very disturbing and frightening. Many people who suffer from panic disorder are worried that their panic attacks mean they are “going crazy” or that the panic might induce a heart attack.
Symptoms of panic attacks are:
- a racing heartbeat
- breathing difficulties and hyperventilation
- dizziness and lightheadedness
- trembling and shaking
- choking and chest pain
- hot flashes, or sudden chills
- a paralyzing terror
- a fear of losing control, going crazy or dying
According to the DSM-5, the criteria for panic disorder are:
1) recurrent panic attacks (either expected or unexpected) and
2) at least one of these attacks has been followed by a month (or more) of one or more of the following:
- Persistent concern about the implications of the attack, such as its consequences (e.g., fear of having a heart attack or “going crazy”) or fears of additional attacks
- A significant change in behavior related to the attacks (e.g., avoiding exercise or unfamiliar situations where attacks could happen)
How Will Thriveworks Help Me Treat Panic Disorder Symptoms?
Chronic problems with panic attacks or panic disorder can negatively impact one’s quality of life and have serious consequences on a person’s overall physical, psychological and social well-being.
Yet, panic attacks and panic disorder can be effectively treated in our office in Johnson City, with a variety of interventions, including counseling for panic attacks and panic disorder therapy.
The first part of therapy is informational, its aim is to help the sufferers understand their condition and its causes. Many people are greatly helped simply by understanding exactly what panic disorder is and how many others suffer from it.
The second part, cognitive restructuring, helps people replace their irrational thoughts regarding panic attacks with more realistic view of the attacks they have been experiencing.
Finally, exposure therapy includes repeated and prolonged confrontation with fear inducing situations and the consequent physical symptoms, which helps weaken the anxiety responses to these stimuli and reinforce the realistic way of perceiving panic symptoms.
If you decide to apply for panic attack counseling or panic disorder therapy, our qualified counselors and therapist in our Johnson City office will be able to assist you with a range of helpful services.
We encourage you to contact us for more information!