Counseling and Therapy in Johnson City, TN for Increased Happiness Help
Probably everyone knows at least one person who is truly happy. Happy people may have a bad day every once and a while, but for the most part, they are above the fray. Both good and bad things come their way, and they take it in stride. An unforeseen bill comes in the mail, and they are bummed for a while, but they bounce right back. Rain is ruining their plans? No problem. Their plans were not linked to their happiness anyway.
How do people cultivate that kind of resilient happiness? Google offers countless suggestions: do not eat these foods, start using power poses, make enough friends (but not too many), use this sleep position, and more. Clearly, people want to increase their happiness, but is that even possible? If so, how?
The reality is that people can adjust their happiness. There are no magic formulas or easy fixes. No one can follow three simple steps and then suddenly experience happiness. Instead, happiness is like a muscle. Everyone has a base level of strength, just as they have a base level of happiness. With time and exercise, anyone can become physically stronger. Similarly, with time and the right mindset, anyone can become happier.
If people can learn to be happier, how do they distinguish between habits that cultivate happiness and pointless clickbait? Many people are turning to counseling to help increase their happiness. A happy life is within reach, and Thriveworks Johnson City has helped many clients learn how to cultivate happiness from within themselves.
What Hinders Happiness?
Most people look to other people and circumstances outside of their control and outside of themselves to cultivate their happiness. Did their team win the game? Yes, they are happy. No, they are not happy. Insert any number of other factors into the question and the outcome is the same.
There is no doubt, other people and outside circumstances affect people’s happiness, but they are not the only factors. In many cases, people cannot control their circumstances or other people, but there are many things within their control that affect their happiness.
The first step toward happiness may be identifying ways people hinder their own happiness. There are many ways people undercut their own joy, but a few may include…
- Giving away Control: Happy people do not think, when X occurs, then I will be happy. They do not allow other people or circumstances to control how they feel. Happy people learn happiness despite circumstances.
- Comparison: Looking around to see what other people are doing is a recipe for animosity, not joy. Happy people accept their life on its own merits.
- Entitlement: Happy people are often proactive, not passive. When people wait around for happiness to show up, they will be waiting a long time.
- Blame: Criticizing people instead of tackling problems means that problems rarely get solved. Instead, they may grow and choke out happiness.
While people may need to cut out habits that hinder their joy, the most important part of boosting happiness is cultivating new habits. When people can draw joy from within, life’s circumstances may knock them down, but they will have the resiliency to regain happiness.
Often, little, everyday habits can may a big difference in boosting happiness. For example,
- Practicing mindfulness – Become alert to the here and now. Take note of your thoughts, feelings, and sensations.
- Promoting thankfulness – Gratitude looks for what is going right and chooses to focus upon the good.
- Changing one’s mindset – Happiness often requires new growth and a willingness to accept new skills, knowledge, feelings, habits, and more.
- Setting a goal – Be grateful for the past, be present in the here and now, but also anticipate the future. Set realistic and achievable goals.
Increased Happiness Therapy at Thriveworks Johnson City, TN
Anyone can learn to be happier, but no one has to take on this task alone. Many people are looking to mental health professionals for help increasing happiness in their lives. The therapists at Thriveworks Johnson City, TN have helped many cultivate more happiness in their lives.
If you are ready to meet with a therapist at Thriveworks Johnson City, TN know that we are ready to meet with you. When you call our office, a person—not a voicemail or an automated response—will answer your call. Many times, new clients meet with their therapist within 24 hours of their first call. We accept many forms of insurance, and we offer evening and weekend sessions.
Let’s work on a happier, more fulfilling life. Call Thriveworks Johnson City, TN today.