Men’s Therapy in Columbus, Ohio – Counselors and Therapists
In some places there’s still stigma around seeking help for any mental health issues with which people deal, and can be particularly true when it comes to guys. Rather than viewing seeking help as a weakness, it’s time people started looking at it as a strength. This stigma prevents many men from getting the help that they need to overcome whatever struggles they may have.
But men don’t have to struggle alone. People should be able to seek the care that they need, regardless of gender and you can find this help at Thriveworks Columbus, Ohio (Polaris) by calling (614) 356-8565.
Do I Need Men’s Therapy? Look for the Signs
In many cases, men wonder if they need therapy. Your well-being needs to acknowledge the signs that you may need treatment because the counselor or therapist can be a wealth of knowledge to help you cope with whatever your struggles are. Signs that you may need therapy include:
- Struggling to regulate your emotions
- Noticeable reduction in productivity at home or work
- Feeling there’s too much stress on your place
- Inability to focus
- Changes in sleep or diet
- Inability to maintain or form relationships
- Suffered a trauma
- No joy in activities you once loved
- Feeling lonely and withdrawn
- Dealing with grief
- The desire to improve yourself
- Engaging in risky or destructive behaviors
You deserve the care necessary to feel more like yourself again. If you experience some of these symptoms or a combination of a few of them, you should consider scheduling an appointment with a therapist or counselor at Thriveworks Columbus (Polaris) by calling (614) 356-8565. The professionals here have the experience necessary to observe and identify issues while also creating an individual plan that will be most effective for you.
How Men’s Therapy Can Help
One of the unique issues when dealing with men’s therapy is overcoming the belief that men are supposed to be tough and how somehow therapy and counseling mean that they are weak. Many guys are conditioned at a young age to believe they need to suppress their emotions, after all, who hasn’t heard “big boys don’t cry?!” They think that people are going to look down on them for seeking help rather than just sucking it up as a man should. But men are as worthy of and sometimes in need of counseling as women are.
The therapists and counselors at Thriveworks Columbus, Ohio, can help you realize that therapy can be extremely beneficial to you, no matter what issues with which you are struggling. They can work with you so that you see that treatment is for everyone, not just for women. Anyone can benefit from therapy, and our counselor can work with you to create a plan that will best work for whatever your individual needs are.
What Techniques Do I Learn in Men’s Therapy?
As already mentioned, counseling sessions are catered based on your situation, since not every case is the same. Since men are less likely to follow their treatment plan, it’s essential to teach the client treatments that will not only be effective in treating them but also ones that they can continuously apply. Some techniques that you will learn in men’s therapy include:
- Understanding the Problem: It’s not uncommon for men to not understand why they are in counseling sessions. In some cases, they may be in counseling to save their relationships or because their partners suggested it. The counselor will work with you to observe you and determine the underlying causes of what you are feeling. Once you understand the problem, you can take the steps that you need to move forward and grow.
- Discover Healthy Coping Mechanisms: It’s easy to fall into destructive and risky behaviors as a way to cope with emotions that one can’t explain aloud. There are appropriate ways to cope with any problem, such as eating a healthy diet, regular exercise, and even finding a support group that can help. The counselor helps people to find better techniques to deal with their issues rather than suppress them or engage in dangerous activities.
- Find a Distraction: Depending on the case, finding a distraction could be a highly effective approach to dealing with issues. They are finding ways to refocus the brain to distract from negative emotions, thereby helping to channel that energy more productively, for instance, burning off anger or sadness by going for a run or relieving stress through meditation. The counselor can help you find the best distraction for you.
The counselor or therapist at Thriveworks will help you to realize that everyone needs a little help sometimes. Therapy isn’t a negative thing or a sign of weakness; it’s a sign of strength because you are acknowledging that you need help to become a better you.
Even if you’re a guy, Schedule a Therapy Session at Thriveworks Columbus, Ohio
Thriveworks Columbus, Ohio (Polaris) can offer you a tailored approach to therapy for men that can assist you to cope with a wide variety of issues, including stress, anxiety, and depression. Since we understand people need flexibility with appointments, we also offer weekend and evening appointments in addition to the standard M-F daytime hours. Therapy is affordable with us because we accept most of the major insurance plans.
The counselors and therapists here have undergone extensive training and are experienced in helping men deal with a wide array of issues. Begin moving in the right direction to better manage your struggles by contacting Thriveworks Columbus, Ohio (Polaris) at (614) 356-8565.