Emotional Abuse Counseling – Therapists and Counselors in Athens
Emotional abuse is a kind of psychological cruelty that occurs over an unrelenting period of time. Emotionally abusive relationships can be between partners, family members and even friends or co-workers. It’s an ugly pattern in a relationship where one party controls and the other obeys, albeit reluctantly. Emotional abuse can often destroy the victim’s quality of life.
An abuser may abuse by using any of the following methods:
- Shouting violently, sometimes at very close quarters
- Mocking the victim all the time, both in private or in front of other people
- Name calling, shaming, making the victim feel worthless
- Complaining about everything, the food, the state of the home, etc.
- Ignoring or not making eye contact with the victim
- Waving the victim away with the hand when they try to talk
These are just a few of the many tactics used by the abuser to intimidate and control their victims. Such behavior can become so commonplace that no conscious thought goes into it. In other words, it’s normal behavior, to them at least.
If you can identify with any of this, you might want to consider talking with an emotional abuse therapy expert. Situations like these rarely go away, which is why positive action by the sufferer is often the only way out.
Remaining in an Emotionally Abusive Relationship
Whenever someone displays abusive behavior, they then often pretend it never happened. Some psychological abusers will even switch the blame over to the victim. Over time, the abused one can get confused and they start to doubt themselves. Life becomes difficult, not only around the abuser but in general. Psychological maltreatment over prolonged periods affects the sufferer in the following ways:
- Lost self-esteem, self-confidence, self-worth
- Inability to work
- Inability to socialize
- Inability to carry out small, everyday tasks with any efficiency
Are you at a place where there’s more disharmony than harmony in your life? If yes, then call our Athens emotional abuse therapy center to schedule an appointment. Our therapists can suggest ways to help you cope with feelings and symptoms. We can also discuss how to change behavioral patterns so that you can move on with your life.