Anxiety & depression counseling from our therapists at Thriveworks in Athens, GA can help people better understand and manage their symptoms. If you are struggling with regular anxious and/or depressive thoughts and feelings that are affecting your day-to-day life or you suspect that you have an anxiety or depressive disorder, you should seek professional help. The therapists at Thriveworks can develop a treatment plan that will help you better manage your anxiety and/or depression.
Anxiety & depression counseling from our therapists in Athens involves talking to a therapist about symptoms, potential causes, and more. Your therapist will then work with you to determine where your anxiety and/or depression might stem from and teach you effective coping mechanisms.
Anxiety & depression counseling from Thriveworks Athens therapists can last for a few weeks, months ,or longer, dependent on the severity of one's anxiety as well as their needs and preferences.
Depression is more than feeling upset or going through a tough time in your life. It’s a severe mental health condition that can shatter the lives of those with the disorder. More than 17 million U.S. adults are affected by depression, and the disorder doesn’t discriminate based on race, age, or socioeconomic background.
It’s essential that we understand depression and how it affects us. Armed with that knowledge, we can take the necessary steps to regain what depression has taken from us. And that first step, whether it is learning a new coping skill or seeking a qualified, professional therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Athens, is crucial for our overall mental wellbeing.
You should also understand that depression is treatable. Millions of people worldwide deal with and manage depression effectively, often with the therapist’s help and guidance.
Depression: Is What I’m Feeling Normal or Am I Depressed?
We all feel sad or distraught at one point or another. It’s normal. However, when these feelings worsen and begin to affect you and those around you negatively, you might have depression, which is characterized by deep despair and some of the following symptoms:
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Lack of interest or pleasure in routine activities
- Low levels of energy
- Feelings of restlessness
- Significant changes in appetite or weight
- Sleep disturbances such as insomnia
These are common symptoms but certainly not all-inclusive. Symptoms will vary from one individual to the next, so it’s vital that a professional therapist properly review your symptoms to provide an accurate diagnosis.
Here are a few types of depression:
- Major Depressive Disorder: this is the most commonly diagnosed form of depression. Some of the following symptoms characterize it: overwhelming feelings of sadness, decrease or increase in appetite, insomnia, constant fatigue, and feelings of worthlessness.
- Postpartum depression: more than just the familiar “baby blues” that some women experience for a couple of weeks after giving birth, postpartum depression is considered a type of major depression that includes feelings of extreme sadness, anxiety, and exhaustion. These feelings make it difficult for new moms to take care of themselves and/or their infants.
- Seasonal affective disorder: this is a type of depression that can accompany the winter months when there is less natural sunlight. Some symptoms of this type include increased sleep, weight gain, and less social interactions. The symptoms of seasonal affective disorder usually dissipate during spring and summer.
Meet with a Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Athens, GA
Know that you are not alone. You’re joining an estimated 65% of U.S. adults who receive therapy by a mental health professional.
An experienced team of professionals at Thriveworks Counseling is ready to help treat your depression symptoms. A scheduling assistant can help set you up with an appointment, often within 24 hours. We offer flexibility with our appointment times as well as convenient options such as telephone or video counseling. If you are experiencing depression, please call our Thriveworks Counseling office in Athens today to schedule an appointment or use our online booking widget to schedule an appointment yourself.