Therapy for Anorexia and Bulimia – Counselors and Therapists in Athens
Anorexia and bulimia have affected about 30 million people in US alone. This means that affected people are prone to serious health illnesses which can even cause death. These risks are highly alarming, but the truth is they can still be treated and prevented. Athens counseling on anorexia and bulimia may be an effective treatment plan on how to overcome these disorders.
Despite the fact that anorexia and bulimia can still be treated, reports from the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders say that only 10 percent of the population of affected individuals are able to receive treatment, leaving a significant number of people still at risk to health threats and illnesses.
Knowing more about the causes of eating disorders
You may have met people with anorexia or bulimia and it may be easy to judge that they are just too conscious about their body image and weight, but the truth is these cases are more complicated as there are other factors that cause eating disorders:
1. The person’s genetics increases the risk of his/her likelihood to acquire an eating disorder by 12 times. If one or more family members are suffering from anorexia or bulimia, he/she is more likely to acquire any of these disorders.
2. Other mental health issues cause serious cases of eating disorders. He/she may experience increased shame or guilt caused by an emotional, physical, or sexual abuse.
3. One’s exposure to fad diets and other weight loss programs can affect the person’s perception towards food and weight loss.
4. Peer pressure can also drive the wrong perception about one’s body image.
Symptoms of Eating Disorders
- One’s obsession over his body image and weight.
- Depression and extreme anxiety.
- Purposeful non-intake of any food.
- Episodes of binge eating which is often alternated with vomiting of food intake.
- Feeling of shame or guilt right after eating.
- Engaging in wrong and unhealthy diets.
What are the health threats of anorexia and bulimia and how to overcome these eating disorder?
Since the person is not able to eat the right nutrients he/she needs for his/her daily operational function, he/she is more prone to acquiring serious health threats caused by nutrition imbalance. Some ailments can be stroke, cardio vascular diseases, and hypertension. All of these cases are serious and they need urgent medical attention. For cases of bulimia, a simple case of choking one’s vomit can already lead to cut-off of oxygen supply which poses a great risk to the person’s life.
People who are suffering from eating disorders can also suffer from depression and mental stability.
Do not let anorexia or bulimia deter you from achieving your personal goals. Start your battle against these disorders now by taking counseling in Athens where a group of professional and trained counselors are waiting for you.