One of the best ways to deal with anxiety is to learn about your own anxiety: your symptoms, what triggers it, and what coping mechanisms have been effective in the past. When you learn what your anxiety is tied to, it can help you be mindful of what's really happening as well as prevent and mitigate symptoms by processing and working through the issue in therapy. Other strategies that have been shown to help manage anxiety are meditation, challenging anxious thoughts, exercising, and journaling.
On average, people can tend to attend 15 to 20 session of anxiety therapy (five or more months). However, this number is heavily dependent on the type of anxiety that's being treated and its severity, with many choosing to attend anxiety therapy for a longer period of time to ensure its effectiveness long-term.
After working from home for several months, Alec’s social anxiety increased. Prior to being isolated, he was able to start conversations with his co-workers no problem and didn’t mind talking on the phone.
Now, just the thought of picking up the phone and calling a customer makes him nervous, increases his heart rate, and causes shortness of breath. It’s prohibiting him from being able to perform well at his job which causes him even more stress.
Battling anxiety and other mental health conditions can be exhausting and overwhelming. Luckily, there are therapists who can help. If you’re feeling anxious like Alec, the anxiety therapists at Thriveworks Counseling in Athens, GA can help. These professionals are highly trained and specialize in helping people who suffer from anxiety.
If you’re in the Athens area and feel like you could benefit from speaking to a mental health professional, reach out to our office. Our team of therapists and counselors are ready to start whenever you are.
Different Types of Anxiety: What to Look For
There are different types of anxiety that someone might experience. In Alec’s case, he struggles with a social anxiety disorder. Here’s a little more information on social anxiety disorder and other common types of anxiety:
- Social anxiety disorder: As we touched on previously, social anxiety is a form of anxiety brought on by social situations. You might feel anxious around new people, presenting in front of your co-workers, making phone calls, or engaging in other social interactions.
- Generalized anxiety disorder: This is the most common form of anxiety. It is characterized by uncontrollable worry, racing thoughts, shortness of breath, fatigue, insomnia or hypersomnia, changes in eating habits, and more.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: Post-traumatic stress disorder, otherwise known as PTSD, is brought on by a traumatic experience. Traumatic events might include sexual assault, mental abuse, deployment to a warzone, natural disasters, or car accidents.
Are you experiencing symptoms of any of the above anxiety disorders? The anxiety therapists at our Thriveworks office in Athens will help you manage and cope with these symptoms. They can also help you understand why you might have developed your anxiety disorder.
Start a Relationship with an Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Athens
Right now, you might be feeling a little isolated, down, or hopeless. Help might seem impossible. However, we’re here to reassure you that you can learn to cope with your anxiety and feel happier again.
At Thriveworks Counseling in Athens, we offer our clients a wide range of benefits, including:
- Flexible scheduling options
- Online counseling options
- Exceptional client care
- No waitlist
- And more
When you’re ready, just head over to our online booking system or give our office a call.
You can thrive. We can help.