Postpartum Depression Counseling in Waltham, MA—Counselors and Therapists at Thriveworks
After 20 hours of labor, Alicia was relieved and elated to welcome her baby boy into the world. It was a long 9 months of stress, excitement, and back pain—and she was more than ready to embark on the adventures of motherhood with her little one. But the first week didn’t go quite as Vanessa had envisioned. She envisioned smiles, laughs, proud parents moments, and of course some roadblocks along the way—she got tears, headaches, and general discontentment instead. Alicia couldn’t put her finger on why, but she was having a tough time connecting with her newborn. And she wasn’t focused on building that connection… she was focused on escaping it, escaping it all. Every single year, there are approximately 900,000 women like Alicia, or women who experience postpartum depression. Are you one of them? If you are experiencing symptoms of postpartum depression, know that you are not alone and that you are not at fault. Furthermore, know that help is out there. The counselors and therapists at Thriveworks Waltham can assess your symptoms and then offer a treatment plan that best suits your unique presentation. They are trained, experienced, and eager to assist you on the journey that is motherhood. Reach out to Thriveworks Waltham to get help now.
What Is Postpartum Depression? Do I Have It?
Postpartum depression makes moms (and sometimes dads) feel sad, hopeless, and guilty because they either feel a disconnect from the baby or lack the desire to care for the baby. Additionally, they experience symptoms that are similar to those characteristic of major depressive disorder:
- Suicidal thoughts
The major difference is that these symptoms usually begin during the last trimester of pregnancy or within a few weeks of the baby being born. Furthermore, if you have postpartum depression, you might also…
- Fear being along with your baby
- Be unable to care for your baby (or yourself)
- Have negative feelings about your baby
- Worry intensely about your baby
- Think about hurting your baby
- Have little interest in your baby
How Can Counseling Help?
The symptoms of postpartum depression can be frightening, especially when you’re experiencing little to no interest in your baby or you find yourself unable to care for your baby. This makes seeking treatment incredibly important, not to mention urgent. So, if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, reach out to Thriveworks Waltham. Our counselors can help. While counseling is often tailored to each individual, to best help them with their specific symptoms and experience, you can expect to discuss the following with your counselor:
- How you feel: Your counselor will want to know about the feelings you’re experiencing. Do you feel overwhelmed? Do you feel guilty? Do you feel uninterested?
- How you think: Just as importantly, your counselor will want to discuss your thoughts. Do you think you are a bad mom? Do you think you’re cut out for motherhood?
- How you act: Your counselor will also want to know about how you’ve been acting. Have you been lashing out at loved ones in anger? Are you extra irritable? Are you crying uncontrollably?
- How you hope to improve: Finally, your counselor will want to talk about how you hope to improve in therapy. What are your hopes for the future? If you could envision a perfect tomorrow with your baby, what would it look like?
In summary, you and your counselor will work together to identify any harmful thoughts, feelings, behaviors and then alter those to benefit your health, your happiness, and your relationship with your child.
Schedule a Session at Thriveworks Waltham
If you are experiencing symptoms of postpartum depression, it’s important you get help as soon as possible. Help and healing is here, as the counselors and therapists at Thriveworks Waltham are wholeheartedly dedicated to guiding you toward a happier, healthier life. Their care and dedication will supplement their extensive training and experience to make for a successful treatment journey. To schedule an appointment at Thriveworks Waltham, simply give us a call at (781) 309-9149. A scheduling specialist will greet you and help you set up an appointment, which could occur as early as 24 hours from the time of your call. We look forward to meeting with you and helping you understand, manage, and overcome your postpartum depression.