Trauma Therapy in Waltham, MA—Therapists and Counselors at Thriveworks
Exposure to a traumatic event—from acts of violence or aggression to natural disasters and the loss of loved ones—can leave one reeling for years to come. The sadness, fear, and anxiety that result don’t just disappear. Instead, the victim is often left dealing with these and other harmful effects for a large part of their life.
“In trauma recovery, the objective is for the past to become a very tiny part of your very large, confident, capable, and free self.”
The good news is that you are not powerless in your battle with trauma. In fact, there are individuals who are experts at combatting the harmful effects of trauma, at your disposal: trauma therapists at Thriveworks Waltham. These professionals specialize in helping their clients manage their trauma symptoms, better respond to triggers, and live well despite the trauma they have experienced. If you think you could find value in working with one of our providers, reach out today—we are ready to help.
Am I Suffering from Trauma?
As touched on above, there are different forms of trauma. A combat veteran who lost a team member can go on to suffer from effects of trauma; similarly, an individual who lost a loved one to cancer can experience the effects of trauma. These two people may present the same symptoms or present very different symptoms. While there is no right or wrong way to react to trauma, the following are common signs of trauma:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Irritability or mood swings
- Anxiety and fear
- Withdrawal or isolation
- Difficulty concentrating
- Racing pulse
- Feelings of hopelessness
If you’ve experienced or witnessed a distressing event and you are presenting any combination of the above symptoms, you might be dealing with trauma. While you might feel scared, know that help is out there. A trauma therapist at Thriveworks Waltham can help you take control of your life again and live happily despite these harmful effects.
Common Causes of Trauma
Above, we touched on a few causes of trauma. But let’s go a little more in depth. The following can be classified as traumatic experiences and result in PTSD:
- Surviving a natural disaster
- Losing a loved one
- Getting diagnosed with a serious disease
- Being bullied as a child (or an adult)
- Surviving a car accident
- Being physically assaulted
Have you experienced any of the above events? If so, you might experience symptoms of PTSD and suffer as a result. If this is the case, reach out to a counselor or therapist at Thriveworks Waltham. Remember: we are here to help.
How Can a Trauma Therapist Help Me?
The trauma therapists at Thriveworks Waltham are experts in their field. They have studied trauma to great lengths and worked with other clients who have experienced the daunting effects of trauma. They will assess your specific presentation, determine an effective approach to treatment, and then guide you on this treatment journey to help you better cope in your day to day life. A few tools that will help you manage your symptoms in and out of therapy include:
- Mindfulness techniques:Often, individuals who have been exposed to trauma experience hypervigilance, which is characterized by sensory overload and severe anxiety. Mindfulness techniques can help to combat hypervigilance, as these practices are rooted in focusing the mind on the present moment. Your therapist will help you master mindfulness.
- Exercise regimens:Another common experience post-trauma is feeling stuck in a state of fear. Exercise proves to counter this reaction, as it enables you to take control of your body again. Try going for a short run, walk, swim, or bike ride. It doesn’t particularly matter what you are doing, as long as you’re moving your body and working your muscles. Your therapist can help you find an exercise regimen you enjoy.
- Spending time with those who matter: Furthermore, simply spending time with your loved ones can result in some incredible mental health benefits. We are social creatures and therefore need social interaction. So, make some time in your schedule for your friends and your family. Do your best to get out of bed or out of your apartment to see them, even when it’s difficult. You’ll be glad you did.
Set Up an Appointment with a Thriveworks Trauma Therapist
If you are a trauma victim and experiencing unwanted side effects, consider working with a trauma therapist at Thriveworks Waltham. We want to help you take control of your life again and heal from your traumatic experience. If you’re ready, we’re ready.
To schedule an appointment, give us a call at (781) 309-9149. A scheduling specialist will greet you and walk you through the process of setting up your session. This process is simple: the scheduler will ask you a few basic questions about why you’re seeking therapy, as well as what your availability is like. Then, they will connect you with a provider who can best help you. If you’re ready to take this big step toward healing from trauma, we’re ready too. We look forward to hearing from and working with you soon!