Counseling for Chronic Pain in Virginia Beach—Counselors and Therapists at Thriveworks
It’s the big game for your brother’s team—the game starts in an hour, and you told them you would be there. The juice boxes and fruit snacks are primed and ready to go. One problem: you are in too much pain to move. Tonight, your chronic pain decided to flare up and now your plans are cancelled. This puts a strain on your relationship with everyone, especially your loved ones. Now, you’re stressed, disappointed, and in an enormous amount of physical pain.
“Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.” –Haruki Murakami
Do you have pain so intense it interferes with your life? Perhaps you missed going to girl’s night or had to cancel your vacation because the pain was too much to handle. You may be so exhausted from the pain you feel hopeless that you will never be able to get relief from the pain—but that doesn’t have to be the case.
There is hope for you and there is treatment available to ease the suffering. Pain counseling at Thriveworks Virginia Beach can help you manage the many harmful symptoms and effects of chronic pain. If you’re suffering with chronic pain and think you could benefit from working with a pain counselor, reach out to Thriveworks Virginia Beach.
How Can Chronic Pain Affect You?
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 50 million Americans suffer from chronic pain, which can be defined as pain that last longer than 3-6 months despite medical treatment. Chronic pain is taxing on your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing.
Some common reasons for chronic pain include:
- Pain due to injury or ailment that is persistent despite medical treatment
- Pain related to nerve or spinal problems
- Inability to do everyday tasks due to pain
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Pain due to chronic conditions like fibromyalgia, Systemic Lupus, and/or diabetes
Common Chronic Pain related symptoms include:
- Burning pain
- Muscle aches
- Sleep problems
- Mood fluctuations
- Depression and anxiety
The good news is that chronic pain can often be managed through pain counseling. While medical treatment might help you find some temporary relief from your symptoms, the job can be accomplished more completely and effectively when medical treatment is paired with psychological treatment. The counselors at Thriveworks Virginia Beach are ready to administer this treatment and help you find true long-lasting relief from your chronic pain.
Chronic Pain Affects More Than the Physical
We already covered some of the symptoms that plague those with chronic pain, but there are some less talked about symptoms, which are more psychological in nature including…
- Anxiety due to constant anticipation of having a pain flare up
- Depression, hopelessness, or negative thoughts about oneself brought on by the constant pain
- Strain on relationships because of emotional stress
- Insomnia or inability to stay asleep due to hours spent worrying or thinking about pain or completely due to the pain
- Social isolation because it is difficult to enjoy things when in persistent pain
- Deep anger and frustration at circumstances due to finality of chronic pain or inability to find relief
Chronic pain is often thought of only in physical terms, but it doesn’t just affect your body: it affects your body, your mind, and your overall wellbeing. The moral of the story is you can find help in more ways than one—relief can often be found through creating a psychological pain management plan in addition to your physician’s medical pain management plan.
What Can Pain Counseling Do for Me?
Your pain counselor can assist you with pain management by…
- Teaching you effective relaxation techniques to allow for better sleep and decrease in symptoms of pain
- Working with you on anxiety and/or depression as it relates to your chronic pain
- Teaching you to maintain a positive mindset
- Helping you to navigate relationship issues brought on by the burden of chronic pain
- Equipping you with better coping skills to manage your symptoms of overall body pain
Mental health counseling for pain management provides an alternative type of pain management that works from the inside out. According to the American Association of Psychology, research has shown that psychotherapy can be just as effective as surgery when it comes to relieving chronic pain. This is because psychological treatment can change how our brains process pain.
So, what could be your next step towards healing? If you struggle with chronic pain and coping with the many challenges chronic pain can bring, it may be time to reach out to Thriveworks.
Call Thriveworks Virginia Beach Today to Make Your Appointment
Here at Thriveworks, we believe you shouldn’t have to wait to start living a happier and more fulfilling life. That’s why we’ll work to get you in as soon as possible—often within 24 hours of your call. We offer evening and weekend appointments to accomplish this mission and to offer flexibility.
We have trained professionals ready and eager to develop a unique pain management plan for you and your needs. Call Thriveworks today at (757) 317-4315 or visit our page to set up an appointment and take the first steps toward living better—together we can begin the process of healing and thriving in life.