Depression Counseling in Portland, ME
Depression is a serious mental health condition that is experienced by millions of people all around the world. It does not care what age or gender you are. It inflicts kids, teens, and adults, both male and female.
Rather than feeling sad or down for a short time, those with depression enter a deep despair for weeks, months, or even years. They experience other harmful symptoms too, like a lack of interest in activities that they used to enjoy, unhealthy changes in their sleeping and eating habits, and withdrawal from others.
Depression is frightening, at its onset and throughout its entire duration. If you have started to exhibit any symptoms of depression, it’s important that you consult a mental health professional. They can assess your symptoms, offer a diagnosis, and then help you heal in depression therapy.
Thriveworks Counseling in Portland, ME has counselors on our team who specialize in treating people with depression. If you are looking for depression therapy, call our office, and we’ll set you up with one of our experts immediately. You can work with your depression therapist in-person or online.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
A major problem is that many people with depression don’t realize that they are depressed. We tend to take on a “That could never happen to me” attitude. But the reality is that it can happen to you, to me, to anyone.
This means that it’s important for all of us to understand and recognize the signs and symptoms of depression. While these can vary from person to person, the most common depression symptoms (in addition to a depressed mood) include:
- Loss of interest in all (or the majority of) activities, even those the individual used to enjoy and look forward to
- Significant changes in weight, be it weight loss or weight gain
- Sleep disturbances, including insomnia (the inability to fall or stay asleep) and hypersomnia (excessive sleepiness throughout the day)
- Fatigue or loss of energy, more often than not
- Feelings of worthlessness or unwarranted guilt
- Inability to think or concentrate properly
- Thoughts of death or self-harm
If you know that you’re depressed or you are experiencing symptoms on the list above, please consider reaching out for help. We know that you might feel scared, but reaching out is the first step in getting the help that you need to get better.
Why Am I Depressed? Causes of Depression
Sometimes, people fall into a state of depression after a difficult life event, such as a breakup or the loss of a loved one. In other instances, there isn’t a cause that’s easily identified.
Here’s the breakdown of a few factors that can lead to or affect the development of depression:
- Family history: If your close relatives have a history with depression, you’re more likely to develop depression than others.
- Environment: Your environment can also play a significant role in the development of depression. For example, trauma and other disturbing events (like a breakup or the loss of a loved one) can trigger a depressive episode.
- Course modifiers: Course modifiers include other mental (or physical) disorders that can impact depression symptoms, such as anxiety or a chronic illness.
These and other factors can contribute to the development and course of depression. When you meet with your Thriveworks depression therapist, they will discuss any potential causes of your depression. And whether or not these are identifiable, they will come up with a plan of treatment for you. A plan of treatment that enables you to better manage your symptoms and live a happier life.
Schedule an Appointment for Depression Counseling at Thriveworks in Portland, ME
Thriveworks Counseling in Portland, ME has therapists and psychologists who are experienced in treating depression, from major depression to seasonal affective disorder (SAD), postpartum depression, and other types of depression too.
We ask that you consider reaching out to our team if you are feeling depressed. We have the compassion, the skills, and the determination to help you on your healing journey.
To schedule an appointment, simply call our office. We have a scheduling team who is here 7 days a week to help you set up your in-person or online appointment.