Maybe you don’t know when you and your partner started to drift apart. You can’t pinpoint one moment when your relationship changed, but all you know is that something is missing. You went from being madly in love to hardly noticing one another anymore.
While every couple goes through their ups and downs, you probably don’t want to see your relationship fall apart. You may feel you’ve come too far together to let go. For many, couples therapy and marriage counseling are powerful tools to avoid separation or divorce, gain insight, and help get a healthy relationship back on track.
At Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry in Paramus, NJ, we offer marriage counseling and couples therapy, tools that can help open up lines of communication, regain intimacy, and find fulfillment.
Couples counseling isn’t a sign of weakness; it’s a way to strengthen your bond with the one you love. Schedule your first couples counseling session and start working to address the rifts that have grown between you and your partner.
What Is Couples Therapy? What Is Marriage Counseling?
Marriage counseling and couples therapy experts provide a clinical and objective perspective on your relationship, in order to get to the root of your problems and guide you toward solutions. Think of relationship counseling as the door to better understanding and increased empathy.
A relationship with a loved one is precious. It’s something to hold onto and nurture through thick and thin. However, it can become strained. Marriage counseling and couples therapy can help you and your partner to get back on the right track if you’re noticing that:
- You no longer trust your partner or vice versa
- Intimacy is difficult between the two of you
- Someone in your relationship struggles with anger management
- You have problems raising your children together
- The lines of communication have broken down
- One of you is jealous and possessive
- One of you has experienced trauma or grief
- Substance abuse is destroying your relationship
- You spend too much time at work and not enough time on your relationship
- Honesty is missing in your relationship
- One of you has given up trying to repair your relationship
If these or other issues are present in your marriage or relationship, it’s worth connecting with a trained couples therapy or marriage counseling provider at Thriveworks in Paramus, NJ. Whether your problems are major or minor, a therapist’s help could be the glue that repairs the damage—before it’s too late to come back together.
Do I Need Couples Therapy or Marriage Counseling?
Asking whether you need couples therapy or marriage counseling isn’t the correct mindset. Instead, it’s important to remember that any couple can benefit from talking with a marriage counseling or couples therapy expert; because any relationship can be improved.
If you are thinking about relationship counseling with a couples therapist, you are already taking a step in the right direction. The first step to saving a relationship is admitting that there is a problem and being willing to work on solving it.
Many types of couples therapy options are available to move in the right direction with your partner. Different evidenced-based therapies that are commonly used in couples therapy and marriage counseling include:
- Emotionally-focused therapy (EFT), a counseling technique that focuses on understanding your emotions
- The Gottman method, an approach that uses data about your relationship to pinpoint concerns and how to address them
- Imago relationship therapy, a method that looks back to how your childhood may have an impact on your relationship as an adult
- Solution-focused therapy (SFT), which focuses on one problem and how to fix it
- Narrative therapy, a technique that invites couples to share their personal stories
- Relational life therapy, a counseling approach that focuses on traditional gender roles
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which works on correcting negative patterns of thoughts through increased self-awareness
Whichever technique you and your partner begin using (with guidance from your marriage counseling or couples therapist), you can rest easy knowing that a mental health professional at Thriveworks in Paramus, NJ, can help. You will have someone, a professional, that you can open up to with complete freedom in a safe environment that is completely confidential.
Is There Relationship Counseling Near Me?
At Thriveworks Counseling & Psychiatry in Paramus, NJ we have couples therapy and marriage counseling experts available to help you fix the issues in your relationship. Don’t let what you have with your partner slip between your fingers. Make an appointment with a relationship therapist at Thriveworks today by calling us or booking virtually.
We also offer convenient, secure, HIPAA compliant online couples therapy and marriage counseling options for couples with busy schedules. Your needs are important to our counselors. That’s why we offer competitive perks that few other providers can match, including:
- Personalized mental health care for your unique needs
- The ability to meet with your therapist quickly and easily via video or in person
- Affordable mental health care covered under many different insurance plans
- Therapy that delivers results—receive evidence-based treatment options from expert relationship counselors
Schedule a couples therapy or marriage counseling session today, and give your relationship the opportunity to thrive again.