Lana doesn’t know what to think about her life at present. Lately, it seems like everything is starting to fall apart. Instead of feeling in control, or at least confident about herself, her goals, and her relationships, Lana seems to be stuck, and sinking further, into negative thoughts and emotions that affect her ability to enjoy herself on a daily basis. Though Lana doesn’t want to experience the sadness and overwhelm that’s overtaking her, it seems like she’s unable to avoid feeling what could be depression.
But if Lana is truly depressed she knows that she’ll need to seek the assistance of a mental health professional to ensure that her symptoms don’t get worse. While talking to a therapist or counselor about her depression is something new, Lana knows that sharing her experience and concerns with a provider is the right thing to do. Without professional treatment, Lana knows that she could spend more time fighting her depression and less time doing the things she loves.
Like Lana, you may also be feeling weighed down by the symptoms of depression. At Thriveworks in McKinney, TX we offer multiple treatment methods for depression. From talk and behavioral therapy sessions with our counselors and therapists to helpful prescriptions from our psychiatrists, Thriveworks can find the provider and treatment that fits your unique mental health needs.
Am I Depressed? What Are the Symptoms of Depression?
Depression, like other mental health conditions, may arise from very specific situations or circumstances, so the symptoms may vary wildly from person to person. While there’s no way to self-diagnose on your own, there are warning signs of depression to be mindful of, including:
- Feeling chronically fatigued
- Overeating or avoiding eating
- Lack of self-care (i.e. personal hygiene or a clean living environment)
- Abusing drugs or alcohol to cope with emotional pain
- A noted lack of interest in sex, hobbies, or relationships
- Feeling distant from loved ones and friends
- Decreased work performance
These are only a few of the many different ways that depression can manifest in your life. If you’re diagnosed by a provider at Thriveworks in McKinney, TX with depression, you may find that your experience and symptoms vary. That’s why it’s so important to speak candidly with one of our mental health professionals—doing so can help them to more accurately treat and recognize your emotional needs.
How Can a Provider Help Treat My Depression?
For many people, attending depression therapy sessions can often be a great way to move forward while dealing with the symptoms of depression. At Thriveworks in McKinney, TX one of our counselors, therapists, or psychologists can help you to work through what’s causing your depression. Our providers will:
- Use talk and behavioral therapy to implement coping strategies for you to use in your personal and professional life
- Work with you to better understand your depression
- Serve as a verbal and emotional outlet for the burdens of this mood disorder
The provider that you’re paired with will depend on the type and severity of your depression. For many people, talking with a counselor or therapist is an efficient form of treatment. But for others with more persistent or severe cases of depression, meeting with a psychiatrist, who can prescribe helpful medication, is a more effective way to manage their symptoms.
Are There Different Types of Depression?
There are many forms that depression can take, but some of the most common include:
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression affects women who’ve given birth; those who underwent caesarian sections or had a miscarriage are at higher risk. This disorder can onset immediately or months after childbirth.
- Bipolar disorder: Bipolar disorder can cause depression when the mood swings that it induces fluctuate. Those with bipolar disorder may feel extremely happy for a minute, and furious or dejected in the next.
- Major depression: This disorder causes emotional detachment, sadness, hopelessness, and apathy. Those who suffer from major depression may become socially isolated, further exacerbating their condition. It’s what most people think of when they hear the word “depression”.
- Minor depression: As the name implies, this is less severe than major depression but just as harmful. Because those with this disorder may go long periods without feeling depressed, identifying what’s triggering their sadness can be difficult for those with minor depression.
Schedule Depression Therapy at Thriveworks in McKinney, TX
If left untreated, depression can create distance between you and the people and things you care the most about. There’s no need to let depression continue to call the shots in your life— reach out to Thriveworks in McKinney, TX today to book a depression therapy, counseling, or psychiatric session. Our scheduling specialists will help you with the enrollment process, and when you’re finished, you’ll get instant access to insider perks, like:
- Online therapy options: Meet with your provider virtually, and enjoy the freedom to do so from home or the office.
- Our Therapy Buddy app: A personal progress assistant that helps track your journey as you attend therapy.
- A digital copy of “Leaving Depression Behind”: A valuable resource that aims to help people recover from and cope with anxiety.
- 23.5 hr cancellations: You can call to cancel your appointment up to 23.5 hours beforehand.
At Thriveworks in McKinney, TX, we can help you find the provider and type of depression therapy that fits your needs. Don’t delay finding relief; give our office a call when you’re ready. With mental health services from Thriveworks, you’ll have the opportunity