Reese and his sister, Trisha, haven’t talked in over a year. They had an argument last Christmas that offended both of them and their tense verbal exchange ended up ruining their family event. Reese knows that he might be taking longer than needed to forgive her sister for her comments, but at the same time, he feels tired of trying to resolve everything himself. Instead, Reese is hoping that he’ll be able to convince Trisha to attend a family therapy session with just the two of them, to start patching up their relationship.
Although they’ve never attended counseling or therapy together, Reese feels like he’s ready to start building a better connection with his sister. And by talking together with a counselor to mediate, Reese is confident that they’ll be able to communicate more effectively and spend less time arguing. While it could take more than one session to resolve the grudges between them, Reese knows that they’ll start making progress with the help of a family therapist.
You may also be looking to work with a family therapist to alleviate the negative dynamics and communication patterns that are disrupting your family relationships. At Thriveworks in McKinney, TX, we have family therapists that are ready to partner with you and your loved ones to bring you closer together. Find a provider that fits your family’s needs by calling our office to schedule a session today.
Should We Talk to a Family Therapist?
At Thriveworks in McKinney, TX we know that any family, regardless of how dysfunctional they are, can benefit from talking with a therapist. Family therapists can be especially beneficial for relatives who are experiencing the following:
- Children or teens who are acting out at school or at home to express their anger or fear
- Tension during extended periods of time spent together such as holidays or vacations
- Ongoing frustration or resentment towards each other
- Tense, explosive arguments about finances or future planning
- Differing viewpoints or unreconciled events
Each family has unique dynamics, so don’t be too concerned if you’re not seeing a problem that you’re faced with listed above. It’s better to be honest about the difficulties that you’re experiencing so that you and your family can find enough common ground to agree on the next step. When you do, your family therapist will be gaining the insight they need to better assist.
How Does Family Therapy Work?
Family therapists use talk or behavioral therapy sessions as a way to connect with family members and understand both their individual and shared perspectives. They will also help to facilitate constructive conversations between relatives who are at odds with each other. A family therapist may also highlight areas where positive growth is occurring—and they can help you maintain your family’s progress through identifying boundaries and empathy techniques.
If you or a family member is dealing with…
- Deaths within the family that have occurred without time to process the event
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Undiagnosed behavioral issues
- Residual anger or resentment between relatives over perceived wrongs or shortcomings
- Communication skills that aren’t fully developed, resulting in constant arguments and bickering
- Addiction to drugs or alcohol in response to stress
- Untreated or potentially undiagnosed mental illness or disorders that family members are suffering from, like ADHD or depression
- Stress from caring for a disabled or elderly member
then seeking a family therapist at Thriveworks in McKinney, TX could help to improve your situation. Dealing with the distance between your loved ones is difficult, but getting mental health services shouldn’t be.
Connect with a Family Therapist at Thriveworks in McKinney, TX
When you and your family decide to schedule a family therapy session with us, you’re not just prioritizing your mental health. You’re also getting access to great benefits that aren’t often matched by other providers, like:
- Evening and Weekend Appointments: Finding a convenient time to get mental health care is a challenge. We offer options that work with busy schedules like evening and weekend appointments.
- High-Touch Support: On-the-spot support is hard to come by. Our support team is available 7 days a week including holidays, and your provider is available between sessions by phone or email.
- Flexible Cancellations: Life happens, we get it. We have a flexible cancellation policy that lets you cancel or reschedule your session for free with just a few days’ notice.
- Real, Lasting Relationships: Many counseling services aren’t practices but loosely affiliated directories of therapists. We have a full-time, dedicated team who build long-standing careers here and lasting relationships with clients.
We’ve done our very best to provide our clients across the U.S. with the best in mental health care. If you’re interested in discovering the difference that family therapy at Thriveworks in McKinney, TX can offer, then call us today to get started. You and your loved ones don’t have to navigate the challenges you’re faced with alone.