Gabe and Jess seem to have reached the breaking point in their marriage. No matter how hard they try, they just can’t seem to get back on the same page. Their troubles started nearly a month ago, when Jess found flirtatious texts to a coworker on Gabe’s phone, and now, Gabe’s avoidance of the subject isn’t helping. They’ve spent the past four weeks trading passive-aggressive comments back and forth, and when they’re both at home, they generally avoid each other, if possible.
Gabe doesn’t want to lose Jess. But he also knows that he’s afraid of talking about the mistakes that he’s made. What if his explanations make things worse and they get divorced? Gabe wants to prioritize their relationship, so he’s decided to schedule a marriage counseling session. He wants to give himself and his wife the opportunity to talk to someone who can potentially help them communicate more effectively, heal, and grow together.
At Thriveworks in McKinney, TX, we know that every relationship is going to have good times and bad. It’s also not healthy or possible to expect anyone that we love to be perfect either. But relationships aren’t ultimately about being perfect; they’re about building a strong foundation through healthy communication and respect for your partner as well as for yourself.
Do We Need Couples Therapy?
It will be up to you and your partner to decide if you can benefit from talking to a provider. If you’re unsure of whether or not you need assistance with your relationship problems, there are common indications that may warn of unhealthy dynamics between couples, including:
- Arguments that last for hours or days
- Avoidance of physical touch or sex
- Lying and other forms of emotional manipulation
- Passive-aggressive comments or abusive behavior
- Inability to respect each other’s boundaries
Our relationship therapists and marriage counselors are committed to helping to preserve the bond that couples share. Seeking a mental health professional’s assistance with your shared difficulties is a proactive method of preserving your relationship. Being open to talking about the tough issues you’re facing together can help your couples therapist or marriage counselor to get a better understanding of your situation and how they can help.
How Can a Therapist or Counselor Help Us?
Couples in relationships can benefit from the impartial guidance offered by a therapist or counselor at any stage in their relationship’s development. That’s because relationship-based therapy or counseling helps to reinforce respectful communication and the need for compromise. At Thriveworks in McKinney, TX, our couples therapists and marriage counselors can assist partners to:
- Establish healthy boundaries
- Rekindle sexual intimacy together
- Help both partners manage anger or anxiety
- Highlight the importance and need for compromise
- Rebuild trust after infidelity or dishonesty
Relationship counseling is designed to benefit both of you by:
- Using feedback from both partners to establish healthy boundaries for communication
- Rebuilding trust by working through tough issues like infidelity or verbal abuse
- Rekindling intimacy by exploring physical aspects of your relationship
- Highlighting the importance and need for compromise with your therapist
We understand that sometimes, only one of you may be interested in contacting us for mental health assistance. Instead of viewing counseling or therapy as an obligation, it can be helpful to view your sessions as a chance to prioritize your relationship.
Schedule a Couples Therapy or Marriage Counseling Session at Thriveworks in McKinney, TX
Couples who become Thriveworks enrollees get access to some of the industry’s best benefits. We’ve got you both covered with:
- Online therapy: With online therapy, moving your relationship forward doesn’t need to be held up by your busy schedule or time spent apart for work or travel. As long as you can talk privately, and get access to the internet, you and your partner can still attend sessions together.
- Scheduling assistance 7 days a week: Our scheduling specialists are available every day of the week, helping you find the right counselor to fit your needs and the schedule that fits both of your lives.
- Same or next-day sessions: Skip the lines with same-day and next-day availability with your couples therapist or marriage counselor.
- 23.5-hour cancellations: If something comes up or you aren’t feeling well, rest assured that you won’t be charged for missing your session, as long as you give us a 23.5-hour notice.
From our team of scheduling specialists to our couples therapists and marriage counselors, Thriveworks in McKinney, TX has the expertise to help you reach new heights in your relationship. While our romantic relationships can be a source of deep satisfaction and companionship, unchecked negative dynamics can destroy the connections we share. If your relationship could benefit from the support of a mental health professional, don’t hesitate to give us a call to schedule your first session.