Grief and Loss Therapy – Grief and Bereavement Therapists in Lynchburg
When you lose someone you love, the effects can be devastating. The pain you feel can be overwhelming, leaving you on an emotional rollercoaster. Even though you may have family and friends who care about you, who want to help you get through this difficult time in life, you often feel alone – like no one understands.
Everyone experiences grief, but not everyone grieves the same. At Thriveworks Lynchburg Grief Counseling, we understand that your experience is unique to you. We know that grief and loss are normal parts of life; but there is hope. You can find healing.
Understanding Grief and Loss?
Grief is a natural response to a loss of someone (or something). This loss is not limited to the death of a loved one. Grief can be experienced as a result of the loss of a job, relocation to a new city, the death of a pet, or an accident that leads to a disability or a lengthy recovery. Anyone can experience grief and loss. No one, regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion, education, or socioeconomic status, is outside of its reach.
Common Myths about Grief and Loss:
“If I just ignore it, the pain will go away”
- Ignoring grief may make the pain go away for a while, but it will come back – and probably at time when you least expect it. When a loss has been experienced, it’s best to find support sooner than later.
“I need to face my grief”
- This may have some truth to it, but you do not have to face it fully today. Some people feel a compulsion to face grief like they’re pulling off a bandage – rrrrrrrrip! For most people, this approach is not helpful, nor is it healthy.
“It will all be better in a year”
- Healing from a loss is a process. There is no way to determine exactly how long it will take to work through your grief. The process is different for everyone. Setting expectations with deadlines generally leads to disappointment.
“I can follow a 12-step program”
- Each of us are different. We process grief differently, too. What might be helpful for one person, may not be for another.
“I just need to get over it”
- Not true! No one “Gets over” grief. There’s no way around grief, you must go through it. Friends and family can be very helpful, but oftentimes the support of a trained grief counselor can help you work through the stages of grief.
Signs of Grief and Loss:
While the manner in which you grieve is unique to you, there are signs that can help you recognize when you are experiencing grief and loss. Do you experience:
- Difficulty maintaining focus or completing tasks
- Anger outbursts
- Tension in your neck or shoulders
- An increase in anxiety in social settings
- Withdrawal from others
- Denial (of grief or that the loss is impacting you)
- Sudden mood swings
- Suicidal thoughts
- A compulsion to tell stories of a loved one or about his/her death experience
If you answered “Yes” to any of these, you’re not alone. Overcoming grief and loss is hard work, but you can find happiness again. At Thriveworks Lynchburg Grief Counseling, our compassionate team is ready to start the healing journey with you today. Our counselors are available at times that work with your scheduling. We know that your life is busy and we don’t want anything to stand in the way of your healing. We’re available nights and weekends and you can often get an appointment the very next day.
Call Thriveworks Lynchburg Grief Counseling now to schedule your first appointment with a counselor or psychologist. We offer affordable payment options; plus, we accept most major insurance plans. Grief therapy may be more affordable than you thought. Call today – (434) 528-3263