Depression is a serious mental health condition that can disrupt someone’s life—but it’s also a condition with many effective treatment options. Many people are now receiving the care they need to heal by seeking out depression counseling services.
The depression therapists at Thriveworks San Antonio have worked with many clients, and are experienced at providing depression therapy services. Depression can leave someone feeling depleted and hopeless, but with a therapist’s help, dealing with depression doesn’t have to be a solitary struggle.
No one has to go through that journey alone—the mental health professionals at Thriveworks San Antonio are ready to help.
What Is Depression Counseling?
For many, depression is often effectively treated by talking to a counselor via depression counseling sessions. These mental health professionals work with everyday people, helping them to manage their depression symptoms associated with common depressive disorders, such as:
- Major depression: This disorder causes emotional detachment, sadness, hopelessness, and apathy. Those who suffer from major depression may become socially isolated, further exacerbating their condition. It’s what most people think of when they hear the word “depression”.
- Minor depression: As the name implies, this is less severe than major depression but just as harmful. Because those with this disorder may go long periods without feeling depressed, identifying what’s triggering their sadness can be difficult for those with minor depression.
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression affects women who’ve given birth; those who underwent caesarian sections or had a miscarriage are at higher risk. This disorder can onset immediately or months after childbirth.
- Bipolar disorder: Bipolar disorder I and II can cause depression, as the individual’s mood shifts drastically over minutes, hours, or days. Those with bipolar disorder may feel extremely happy for a minute, and furious or dejected in the next.
For many, depression therapy helps them to understand and manage their depression successfully.
How Does Depression Therapy Work?
Depression counseling, or depression therapy, as it’s called interchangeably, works by:
- Creating a professional connection with a client and counselor to better understand their depression
- Serving as a verbal and emotional outlet for clients who are burdened by the symptoms of depression
- Using talk and behavioral therapy to implement coping strategies for clients
Professional counseling can help depressed people take control of their symptoms and get back on track to achieving their goals. Thriveworks’ mental health providers treat your mood experience as unique, instead of using a one-size-fits-all approach to therapy.
In your first depression counseling sessions, your provider may want to discuss the following elements to get a better sense of your struggle and how they can help:
- Your specific depression symptoms
- Your and your family’s medical history
- Potential causes of your depression
- Your psychosocial environment
- Lifestyle factors (nutrition and exercise habits)
- Your needs and goals for treatment
This comprehensive therapeutic assessment may not take place all at once, especially when clients are in acute distress, but it’s important for your provider to gather as much information as possible over time. This can help a counselor develop an effective treatment plan that’s personalized around your needs while attending depression therapy sessions.
Providers utilize a number of evidence-based treatment options to help their clients live happier, healthier lives. Recovery might include weekly sessions with a therapist and/or monthly follow-up sessions with a psychiatrist as needed.
It all depends on what’s best for the individual’s needs during depression counseling sessions.
Depression Therapy in San Antonio, TX
When you are ready to speak with a therapist, know that the mental health professionals at Thriveworks San Antonio are ready to meet with you. When you contact our office, you may be able to meet with a therapist as soon as the following day.
Additionally, Thriveworks also offers industry-leading benefits to clients, including:
- Online therapy options
- Flexible cancellations
- Coverage under most insurance plans
- Personalized mental health care for your unique needs
Call or book your session online at Thriveworks San Antonio today to begin your depression counseling journey, taking the first steps toward better mental health and a brighter tomorrow.