Trauma Therapy in Richmond, VA (Shockoe Bottom)—PTSD Therapists
Are you a victim of physical or mental abuse? Have you survived a natural disaster like a hurricane or a fire? Did you get bullied as a child or teen? These experiences are all considered traumatic, and they can have long-term or lasting effects on your life. Trauma is debilitating and is accompanied by harmful symptoms that make day to day activities challenging.
“All emotions, even those that are suppressed and unexpressed, have physical effects. Unexpressed emotions tend to stay in the body like small ticking time bombs—they are illnesses in incubation.” –Marilyn Van Derbur
If you answered yes to any of the above questions or have experienced another form of trauma, it is important that you get the help and support that you need. Consider working with a trauma therapist or PTSD therapist at Thriveworks Richmond, VA (Shockoe Bottom). These professionals specialize in helping victims of trauma, as they come equipped with knowledge, skills, and experience in working with people who have experienced trauma. Give us a call today at (804) 980-7242 to schedule a trauma therapy appointment.
Do I Have PTSD? What Are the Symptoms?
Trauma is a distressing event or experience, such as physical assault, mental abuse, a natural disaster, bullying, and the loss of a loved one. Victims of trauma struggle to function normally on a day to day basis—for example, they cannot focus at work or feel paranoid about their relationships—and suffer with other harmful symptoms. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is diagnosed when an individual presents a given set up symptoms for a month or longer after their trauma. The primary PTSD symptoms include:
- The individual experiences flashbacks or nightmares, or relives their trauma in another medium, which causes them significant distress.
- He or she feels numb and avoids places, people, and things that could trigger bad memories of their trauma.
- The individual suffers from sleep disturbances, has trouble concentrating, and/or becomes irritable.
In addition, victims of trauma might feel detached from life, exhibit a reduced interest in the things and people they love, engage in reckless behavior, and experience feelings of guilt, fear, or anger. These symptoms can vary between individuals.
If these symptoms sound familiar because you are experiencing them yourself, consider working with a trauma therapist or psychologist in Richmond, VA (Shockoe Bottom). These professionals can help you manage these symptoms and heal from your trauma.
How Does Trauma or PTSD Therapy Work?
Trauma and PTSD therapy are designed to help victims of trauma process their experience and work through the psychological harm it has caused them. Their ultimate mission is to help their clients move forward with their life and function normally again.
As with the symptoms of trauma, treatment for trauma can vary too. This mostly depends on the specific individual’s needs. That being said, there are several common approaches to trauma and PTSD therapy, including:
- Trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TFCBT): This approach focuses on helping people process all of their thoughts and emotions related to their trauma.
- Psychodynamic therapy: This approach helps people who have experienced trauma by digging into the individual’s subconscious. Trust between the client and therapist is vital to the success of psychodynamic therapy.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR): EMDR is a newer approach to trauma therapy and aims simply at helping people better process their trauma. The overall goal is to guide the individual in removing any roadblocks to one’s mental health.
If you’ve experienced trauma, remember: It is vital that you process the event and all of the emotions that accompany it. You don’t have to do this alone. A trauma therapist at Thriveworks Richmond, VA (Shockoe Bottom) can help.
Work with a Trauma or PTSD Therapist at Thriveworks Richmond, VA (Shockoe Bottom)
The trauma and PTSD therapists and psychologists at Thriveworks Richmond, VA (Shockoe Bottom) want to help victims of trauma to process the event, feel their emotions, and heal. If you have experienced a traumatic event, consider working with one of our trauma therapists and give us a call today at (804) 980-7242 to schedule an appointment.