The outbreak of COVID-19 has disrupted schedules throughout Franklin. Shelter in Place orders have brought novel problems our Norfolk County is working hard to overcome. While we are all struggling with working from home for the first time, juggling loneliness and boredom, and deciding how many times ordering take-out is acceptable, students face their own unique challenges.
Until recently, students’ lives revolved around going to school. Their friends were at school. Their hobbies were at school. Their future was being built, at least partly, on the day-in, day-out routine of school. With coronavirus forcing schools to switch to online learning, many students are feeling isolated, anxious, and lonely. Much of what they knew was stripped from them in a matter of weeks.
If your student is struggling emotionally, academically, or behaviorally, Thriveworks Franklin MA offers online therapy so your student can receive the help they deserve while practicing social distancing. COVID-19 calls for caution, but we can still continue to thrive. If you want to schedule a telehealth therapy session, call (617) 360-7210 today.
What Are Some of the Struggles Facing Students Today?
The current K-12 students are facing higher levels of anxiety and depression than any generation before, and that was before the coronavirus pandemic hit. No doubt, our students are resilient. They are adaptable. With time, they will overcome this new challenge.
That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take the steps to ease the transition for them. Thriveworks Franklin online therapists have worked with students of all ages for years. Switching to online therapy is yet another adjustment we have to make, but the research says:
Online therapy is just as effective as in-person counseling.
Some students might find previous mental and behavioral health issues exacerbated by the shelter in place order. Others are facing new problems they have little experience coping with. All students deserve the chance to come out of the COVID-19 pandemic with a stronger sense of self and a belief that they can truly overcome anything.
Thriveworks Franklin has seen students in Norfolk County for reasons like:
- Anxiety around how COVID-19 will affect their future
- Worsening symptoms of eating disorders
- Trouble adapting to online schooling
- Boredom or restlessness
- Coronavirus fear and anxiety
- Feeling isolated from friends and passions; loss of self
The experiences of a child, adolescent, and teenager are all different, and each student will react to the coronavirus differently. Online therapy is a way to meet them where they are at, no matter what.
What Is Online Therapy?
Also known as telehealth therapy, online therapy is a way to bring all the benefits of counseling to you virtually. This virtual therapy is conducted in two ways:
- Video Therapy: Your Franklin therapist will send you a link to follow at the scheduled online therapy time. All you need is a comfortable spot and a phone, laptop, or iPad!
- Phone Therapy: Your Franklin therapist will call you at the scheduled online therapy time. It’s really as easy as that!
Online therapy is not difficult to learn or use. Our Norfolk county counselors are skilled at the technology and can help you through every step.
When it comes to your student, virtual therapy is just another tool they can use to adjust, adapt, and conquer. Online therapy offers many benefits, including:
- Comfortable: Grab your favorite beverage and get cozy, because you don’t even have to leave your room for this counseling session.
- Convenient: It’s easy to cancel and move appointments when they’re virtual. Without drive time and waiting room time, there’s a lot less to worry about.
- Safe: With the COVID-19 pandemic, virtual therapy is a necessity to staying safe. Beyond the physical safety of online therapy, the distance can actually make clients feel more safe and secure. Being surrounded by things that comfort you can make it easier to open up and will expediate the counseling process.
- Beneficial: Virtual therapy has all the same benefits as in-person counseling, and for some people, especially students, the virtual aspect of online therapy makes counseling even more beneficial.
Students in elementary, middle, and high school are all facing huge changes in their routine and a lack of important stimulus. Video counseling or phone counseling with a Franklin online therapist can help students cope with the changes around them and continue to thrive. To schedule an online therapy appointment today, or to ask any questions, call (617) 360-7210.