Social media has made it easier than ever to connect with people. Faster transportation makes visiting friends and family relatively easy no matter how far away they live. And yet, more than ever, people say they feel disconnected and lonely. It’s understandable why. It’s easier to connect, but it’s also easier to slip away and isolate yourself. Connections made on the internet can be superficial and plagued with comparisons. And, it’s just plain hard to stop feeling lonely!
Thriveworks Franklin is here to tell you that there is an end for the cycle of loneliness. Our Loneliness Counselors want to step in and provide you with the support and education you need to rewire your brain and grow out of this darkness. Please don’t hesitate and call to schedule an appointment with one of our counselors at Thriveworks Franklin by calling (617) 360-7210.
Am I Lonely?
It looks like everyone else is happy, why can’t I be? How does everyone have cute romantic relationships and great families and friends they’re making memories with? What’s wrong with me?
Whether on a conscious or subconscious level, these are the thoughts that loneliness feeds off of. Media has been feeding us lies about what a “successful” relationship is for years. They don’t show the normal, day to day life of relationships. They show the exciting stuff. But the exciting stuff is hardly the full truth. It adds to the cyclic nature of trying, failing, and self-deprecation associated with loneliness.
Of course, Thriveworks Franklin want to make it clear that your current situation is not your fault. But you can take steps to get out of loneliness- you aren’t stuck! Our Loneliness Counselors are trained to help you find joy and happiness in the life you’ve always imagined.
So, how do you know loneliness isn’t just the blues? When do you reach out? Really, whenever you notice a pattern of unhappiness in your life, it’s more than enough reason to call a counselor. You deserve the best life possible, and Thriveworks Franklin can help you get there.
The longer answer is to look for these signs in yourself or a loved one:
- Low Self-esteem/self-hatred
- Negative self-talk
- Isolating yourself
- Social anxiety
- Feelings of emptiness
- Feeling like you’re imprisoned in your own body and life
- Constantly comparing your life to others
- Wishing you had closer connections
- Feeling like you have nowhere to turn when you are hurting
- Changes in eating habits or weight
Loneliness can bring many other symptoms. It has the potential to be incredibly damaging to your happiness and life. But counseling can help bring you out of it. Thriveworks Franklin will walk by your side as you heal and grow.
What Is Counseling For Loneliness Like?
Counseling will look different for every person, but the one thing that will stay the same is that Thriveworks Franklin is a client-centered practice. Your goals, passions, fears, and concerns will take the central stage. Afterall, counseling is about you. It will always be empathetic, nonjudgmental, and supportive.
Our Thriveworks Franklin Loneliness counselors do have years of experience and training that can supply us with some direction and tools though. This includes:
- Forming your own definition of “community”
- Limiting the negative influences in your life like social media and TV
- Finding priorities and goals that will actively bring you closer to your dreams
- Learning how to take social risks and be confident in yourself
- Working on your positive self esteem
- Address other mental health concerns that are a result of loneliness such as insomnia, depression, or anxiety
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT- works with changing negative, untrue thoughts to positive, true thoughts)
- Mindfulness- learning how to be aware of how your actions and thoughts affect your emotions to take control of the circle of loneliness
There are many more paths a Thriveworks Franklin counselor can take to help you overcome loneliness. It can feel like a never-ending trudge, but Thriveworks Franklin has seen people again and again overcome their loneliness and create real, lasting connections. You can do it too; it starts with the next step you take. So, don’t hesitate. Get the support that you need today by calling (617) 360-7210.