Loneliness Counseling – Counselors and Therapists in Columbus, Ohio
Loneliness and social isolation are more common than you think. But it’s important to know that just because someone is socially isolated, that doesn’t necessarily mean that a person is lonely, nor are all lonely people socially isolated. Everyone is different, having different needs socially to be happy, and that’s okay. However, if it isn’t okay, then you may need the help of a counselor or therapist. If that’s the case, you may want to call Thriveworks Columbus Polaris office at (614) 356-8565.
Symptoms of Loneliness and Social Isolation: Breaking Through Your Thoughts
What differentiates between something healthy and something more serious when it comes to loneliness comes down to your thoughts. A primary symptom of these issues is that you think things that aren’t true. But, once you get something in your brain, it can be incredibly hard to change that thought that keeps festering in your head. These are some common thoughts that can wreak havoc on your mind, including:
- Your feelings don’t control you: A problem with loneliness is that it can be hard to break out of that cycle. You begin to become lonelier; then you start to think that socializing will only make you feel sick. The fact is that getting out there and spending time with others can be a great solution, even if your brain tries to tell you otherwise. You can acknowledge your feelings, but they aren’t rules by which you have to abide.
- You don’t have the time to make friends: People are socially isolated because they don’t have anyone with whom to associate. Then, some people have plenty of people to hang out with but believe they don’t have the time to keep up with them. Everyone has the same amount of time during the day, and you have control over how you spend that time.
- It’s easy to pick up the phone and call someone: One of the most common difficulties lonely people have to overcome is taking the first step and reaching out to people. You don’t necessarily have to go out with people, but you should make a simple phone call to check in on someone. Just having a short conversation can have a massive impact on you.
- You can get help: The professional counselors and therapists at Thriveworks Columbus Polaris can help with those nagging feelings of loneliness. We can help you find ways to overcome your loneliness so that you can improve the quality of your life.
Dealing with Loneliness and Social Isolation
What you may not be aware of is that there can be some underlying condition that is causing your loneliness. If that’s the case, then that means that this underlying condition will need to be dealt with before any loneliness or social isolation can be resolved. For instance, sometimes, conditions like depression or various medical conditions can make people suffer from loneliness. The therapist or counselor at Thriveworks Columbus Polaris will refer to a thorough evaluation of their client’s past or present first to uncover any potential underlying conditions. Then they can create a treatment plan that will be most effective in helping you.
Techniques to Help with Loneliness and Social Isolation
As every person is different, so is the best approach for treating loneliness. This process is why it can be so essential to work with a counselor. The counselor works with you, carefully listening and observing to determine what the best course of action is going to be to help the client overcome loneliness. Some approaches that may be included in the treatment plan, include:
- Working to improve social skills: A common reason why people suffer from loneliness is that the client lacks adequate social skills. The client may not feel comfortable when it comes to talking on the phone or how to converse with other people properly. Some people are socially awkward. Whatever the case is, a counselor can take the client through the steps on how to form excellent social skills.
- Finding extra support: Loneliness can often come up after the client experiences some loss. This loss could be a death, a breakup, or parents getting a divorce. If the counselor can determine there is a specific cause for those feelings of loneliness, they will first address that issue before discussing anything else.
- Finding ways to go out and meet new people: For many adults, it can be complicated to meet new people and make new friends. If you need help, counselors can come up with unique approaches to how you can meet new people. Sometimes you need a new approach when it comes to meeting people and forming those solid relationships necessary to be more social and beat loneliness.
Loneliness is something that everyone deals with now and then. It becomes a problem when this is a long-lasting problem that ultimately leads to other issues such as depression or other harmful problems that can hurt your physical and emotional well-being. If your loneliness has developed into other conditions like this, it may be time to schedule a session at Thriveworks Columbus Polaris by calling (614) 356-8565.
Schedule a Loneliness Counseling Session at Thriveworks
At Thriveworks Columbus Polaris, our counselors and therapists undergo extensive training to know how to help clients through their unique situations. We are open during typical business hours M-F, but we also understand that these times don’t work for everyone. That’s why we also offer evening and weekend appointments for our clients, so convenience isn’t an excuse to not get the help that they need. We also accept most major insurance plans, so you don’t have to worry as much about expensive counseling. You deserve to get the help that you need. If that’s the case, you may want to call Thriveworks Columbus Polaris office at (614) 356-8565 for loneliness counseling.