In today’s technology-driven age, we hardly stop to breathe. Work comes home with us in the form of emails and text messages. The news is relentless in our ears through social media. We are constantly striving for more, better, and perfect. But what is all of this doing to our mental health?
Chronic overwhelm is a very real and very prevalent mental health issue. It is more than being stressed out from time to time, it is being overwhelmed most of the time. When you live with chronic overwhelm, you’re living with the risk of early heart failure, increased risk for anxiety and depression, and an overall decrease in life satisfaction.
But even in our fast-paced world, we can learn how to carve out a space to breathe. There is power in rest, and Thriveworks The Woodlands wants to help you find yours.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment today, give Thriveworks in The Woodlands a call at 281-667-9790.
What Is Chronic Overwhelm?
Overwhelm is not simply an emotional response, it is a mental state that arises out of response to external stimuli. When your brain can’t handle all the expectations coming in, it resorts to a state of overwhelm.
What this overwhelm translates to differs from person to person. Some people get angry, others get anxious, and some will get depressed. All the responses are valid! Thriveworks The Woodlands wants to help you take control of your response to overwhelm. By responding to it in a healthy, controlled manner, we are taking steps to recover from chronic overwhelm and develop a healthy lifestyle.
Similarly, the trigger points that get someone to chronic overwhelm will be different. There is no set time frame that makes overwhelm chronic- it is all very individualized. However, if you recognize these symptoms in yourself or a loved one, seeking professional counseling for chronic overwhelm is a good idea:
- Waking up and feeling dread for the day
- Trouble making even the easiest decisions
- Rushing through your to-do list; feeling frantic
- Saying yes way too often; unclear priorities
- Escaping reality (through tv, sex, alcohol, etc.)
- Inability to focus
- Sense of failure
Chronic overwhelm will also result in physical symptoms such as:
- Susceptibility to illness
- Chest pain/rapid heartbeat
- Loss of sexual desire/ability
Chronic Overwhelm is no walk in the park. When left unmanaged it can steal the joy and drive from life, making every day just another thing to muddle through. This is not what you deserve! With Thriveworks The Woodlands, we can take back your mental health and build a life that protects your boundaries instead of breaks them down.
How Can Counseling for Chronic Overwhelm Help?
Counseling for Chronic Overwhelm is going to look different for everyone. This is because what pushes one person to chronic overwhelm is different from anyone else. The coping mechanisms, changes, and boundaries will be different as well. Who you are is wonderfully unique, and each counseling session at The Woodlands will be too!
The main point of chronic overwhelm is to create a life inside boundaries that protect your mental health while allowing you to pursue your goals. This can be a tricky balance to achieve, but our professional counselors are experts at treating chronic overwhelm and will help you every step of the way!
Some things we might work on include:
- Identify the stressors in your life and cut out the ones that don’t need to be there
- Develop coping mechanisms that walk you down from a state of overwhelm
- Install buffers in your life that prevent chronic overwhelm from developing
- Strengthen your social support- it’s always easier to heal and grow when you’re surrounded with people that care for you!
- Practice mindfulness and relaxation techniques
- Work through any negative mindsets that might be keeping you from letting go of chronic overwhelm (ex: If I’m not perfect I’m going to fail; This is normal; I’m just being weak; etc.)
- Encourage healthy sleep, eating, and exercise routines
- Address any other mental health issues that could have arouse from chronic overwhelm (depression, anxiety, anger, etc.)
Chronic overwhelm is exhausting, heavy, and feels never-ending. But there is a way out. Thriveworks in The Woodlands wants to work with you to find a balance that fits your life, feeds your future, and keeps you mentally healthy. Sounds impossible? Far from it! Come and see for yourself by calling to set up a counseling for chronic overwhelm appointment. We can be reached at 281-667-9790