Anger is natural. It’s as much a part of our neurological system as joy, pain, and fear. It can warn us of a dangerous situation, aid us when we are in the midst of danger, and help us distinguish right from wrong. Healthy anger is not a bad thing.
However, too often we can slip into an unhealthy anger. This anger controls us, consumes us, blocks our decision-making abilities, and puts us and others in harms way. Unmanaged anger can be hard to live with, but it doesn’t have to be with you forever.
The anger management counselors in The Woodlands, TX, understand that unmanaged anger is multi-faceted. It never means you lack self-control or are a bad person. Problems with anger arise from a mix of psychological, neurological, and situational factors. While this sounds overwhelming, The Woodlands counselors are here to help you out- supporting, encouraging, and teaching you every step of the way.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment today, call us at 281-667-9790.
When Might my Anger Be Out of Control?
Anger is a wide spectrum of emotion, so the only person who can honestly answer that question is you. Are you happy with your anger levels? Is it disrupting your life? Straining your relationships? Blocking you from accomplishing your goals? Do you feel physically drained from your anger?
There are many ways to experience anger, so there are many ways it could be impacting your life. Whatever you decide, know that your struggle with anger does not make you a bad or weak person. Those are harmful stereotypes and are simply not true. Anger is not a personal flaw, it is a natural human experience that can be taken to a pathological level, just like anxiety, grief, and even joy.
The Woodlands anger management counseling will keep every session focused on you. Your anger is probably affecting many areas of your life, and we want to meet you where you are at. It won’t happen right away, and it might be hard at times, but our professional counselors will be with you every step of the way. You can live life free from the burden of anger.
Anger management counseling might be right for you if you are experiencing:
- Relationship issues
- Difficulties coming to an agreement or compromise
- Self-harm, a common symptom of internal anger
- Difficulty working with other people
- Frequent clashes at work (of any manner)
- Problems expressing emotions in healthy ways
- Feeling unheard or unable to express desires; unsatisfied
- Frequent aggressive swearing, yelling, or violent actions
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Anxiety, depression, insomnia, or changes in weight and eating are common symptoms of an anger management problem
These are only a few of the negative impacts anger can have on your life. However, anger is impacting you, remember that the step to healing and freedom begins with you. Only you can reach out, and only you can start that process. Where do you want to be in your life? Where are you now? If those two answers don’t match up, The Woodlands anger management counseling can help.
How Does Anger Management Therapy Work?
That depends on your goals! No one experiences anger the same, just like no one has the same lifestyle or goals. Thriveworks The Woodlands takes care to individualize every session so that you can get the most out of it.
An anger management session with Thriveworks Woodlands might include discussions around:
- What triggers my anger?
- What are the physical or internal signs my anger is getting out of control?
- What coping mechanisms work for me?
- How can I hold myself accountable (or who can help me do so)?
- What steps can I take after getting angry to return to a healthy state of mind?
- Are there any deep-rooted behaviors, thought patterns, or events that are causing my anger?
In the midst of anger, it can feel all-consuming. In the aftermath, you can feel overwhelmed with guilt, shame, and despair. In the moment, anger feels like it’s breaking you out. But in the aftermath, it cages you once again. There is a way out of this brutal process. To start rewriting your life the way you want it, give Thriveworks The Woodlands a call at 281-667-9790.