Humans like to think that they’re rational beings, but it turns out that our psychology is stuffed full of illusions, distortions, and maladaptive patterns that can sometimes prevent us from achieving our goals. The cognitive psychologist Steven Pinker once stated, “We’re living in primate heaven. We’re warm, dry, we’re not hungry, we don’t have fleas and ticks and infections. So why are we so miserable?” We can experience misery, sure, but we can also experience positive emotions like joy and pleasure. The reasons behind our emotional and behavioral responses can be incredibly complex. Sometimes it takes an expert to help us navigate our own psychology in order to prevent needless suffering.
The licensed psychologists at Thriveworks in San Diego, CA have the wisdom, compassion, and expertise to help clients get to the bottom of their mental health issues, and help them lead fuller, happier lives. No matter what your goal is–to overcome depression, to find the meaning of life–the top-rated psychologists at Thriveworks in San Diego, CA can help.
What Is Good Mental Health and Why Is It Important?
The definition of good mental health might be a little different for everyone, but generally it includes a full realization of one’s abilities, an ability to manage stress and pressure, successful relationships with intimates and the community at-large, and productivity. What does it mean to live in a way that supports good mental health? It means you may be well-rounded, resilient, and able to cope with whatever life throws at you.
The licensed psychologists at Thriveworks in San Diego, CA have the knowledge and resources to address mental health concerns that might prevent someone from achieving balance, resilience, and happiness in life.
What Can a Psychologist Treat?
A licensed psychologist at Thriveworks in San Diego, CA can treat everything from existential crises to major, clinical depression. They use a variety of effective approaches like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and interpersonal therapy. Psychologists can be counseling or clinical psychologists, and they usually have PhD or PsyD after their name. Other mental health providers at Thriveworks in San Diego, CA include the following:
- Psychiatrists (MDs), who can prescribe medication and provide psychotherapy
- Telepsychiatrists (MDs), who are psychiatrists who provide online psychiatry services
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs), who provide solution-focused counseling and psychotherapy
- Psychotherapists, who are any counselors, social workers, psychologists, or psychiatrists who provide psychotherapy
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), who provide counseling and practical guidance for local social services
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs), who provide couples, marriage, and family counseling
- Certified alcohol drug counselors (CADCs), who provide substance abuse counseling in California
How Do I Choose a Psychologist?
Choosing a psychologist is a deeply personal decision, but there are some general rules for finding the right counselor or therapist to help you. You can start your search with the following questions:
- Is the psychologist fully licensed and qualified? (All psychologists at Thriveworks in San Diego are licensed in California.)
- Is the psychologist affordable? (Thriveworks psychologists accept most health insurance.)
- Does the psychologist have experience treating your issue? (Psychologists at Thriveworks in San Diego, CA have a wide range of mental health specialities, including depression, anxiety, addiction, LGBTQ issues, eating disorders, panic disorders, sex disorders, relationship issues, and more.)
- Can the psychologist see you online? (Psychologists at Thriveworks can meet with you in the modern, brick and mortar office in San Diego, or virtually through a secure telehealth connection. Some patients even choose a hybrid model of care.)
If you’re not sure what type of mental health provider you need, call the Thriveworks office and our highly trained staff will help direct you to the right person, or explain your options and answer your questions. And when you first meet with your provider, feel free to ask them questions about their methods and care philosophy. Do they take a more holistic approach? Are they interested in family dynamics? Can they do CBT? Therapists are generally open to talking about their treatment methods and like to make everything as transparent as possible.
Book a Session with Your Exceptional Psychologist at Thriveworks in San Diego, CA
You can call the Thriveworks office in San Diego, CA today and meet with your licensed psychologist as early as tomorrow. Our mental health providers pride themselves on their fast turnaround times for appointments. When clients finally decide that they’re ready to see a psychologist, they don’t want to wait. Additional Thriveworks membership benefits include email and phone access to your provider between sessions, and our Ask-a-Coach 24hr Q&A service. We also offer educational resources like exclusive videos and e-books.
If you’re ready to meet with a premium psychologist at an affordable price, call Thriveworks in San Diego, CA today. We look forward to helping you achieve your mental health goals.