Depression Counseling in Providence, RI
Depression is a mood disorder that comes with a persistent despair. These feelings of despair, paired with feelings of hopelessness, lack of motivation, social isolation, and other harmful symptoms, make living a satisfying life difficult.
There are different forms of depression, from major depression to minor depression, postpartum depression, and persistent depressive disorder. While the exact symptoms, duration of symptoms, and severity of symptoms vary between each type, it remains true that the condition is unpleasant and painful to endure.
Do you feel depressed? This isn’t an easy question to answer, even for those who are clearly displaying depression symptoms from the outside looking in. We tend to downplay our problems and insist that we’re okay when we aren’t. When it comes to depression and other serious mental health issues, we must admit that we are struggling and seek the appropriate help.
Thriveworks Counseling in Providence, RI can offer the right help to manage your depression and work back to a happier place. If you think you could benefit from working with a depression therapist, reach out to Thriveworks today. We’ll be happy to connect you with a provider upon your call.
Depression Symptoms: How Can I Tell If I’m Depressed?
We started to list symptoms of depression above, but let’s go through a more detailed list. Common signs or symptoms of depression include:
- Despair: The main characteristic of depression is the persistent sadness we mentioned earlier.
- Loss of interest: The second primary characteristic of depression is a loss or lack of interest in one’s day to day, even activities they used to look forward to.
- Feelings of hopelessness: The individual feels hopeless about life and as if their life doesn’t matter or doesn’t have meaning.
- Social isolation or withdrawal from others: Many people with depression also withdraw from their friends and family members.
- Changes in sleeping or eating habits: Depression symptoms aren’t always mental or emotional symptoms. They can be physical too, like changes in sleeping or eating habits.
- Other symptoms like weight gain, fatigue, irritability, anxiety, restlessness, and agitation.
Do any of the symptoms above sound all-too familiar? Are you feeling depressed, uninterested, and hopeless? Are you isolating yourself from other people and displaying changes in sleeping or eating patterns? Are you feeling irritable and anxious?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, please consider talking to a mental health professional. Thriveworks Counseling is confident that you can find the help you need at our Providence, RI office. We have therapists and psychologists who specialize in helping people with their depression symptoms.
Types of Depression: Which Might I Have?
We started to explain earlier that there are different types of depression and proceeded to list a few. Let’s take a more in depth look at some of these depressive disorders:
- Major depression: Major depression is one of the more common types of depression. To be diagnosed, you must experience a depressed mood, a loss of interest, and a handful of other symptoms (such as those on the list above), every day for two weeks or longer.
- Minor depression: Minor depression is much like major depression, only it is less severe (as you can probably infer from its name).
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression is experienced after childbirth. The individual experiences symptoms on the list above and also difficulty bonding with baby.
- Persistent depressive disorder: Persistent depressive disorder is a longer form of depression with a low mood lasting for at least two years along with other harmful depression symptoms.
In summary, you deserve to live a happy and fulfilled life. But these depressive disorders and other forms of depression make day to day life unpleasant. To resolve your feelings of depression and get back to a better place, talk to a mental health counselor.
Schedule Depression Therapy at Thriveworks in Providence, RI
Depression therapy is available now at Thriveworks Counseling in Providence, RI. We are happy to help you schedule an appointment with a therapist who can assess your specific symptoms and then design a treatment plan with your needs at the forefront.
Are you ready to live better? We’re ready to help you live better. Call our office when you are ready to set up your first depression therapy appointment.