Infidelity comes from a lack of communication between partners in a relationship or spouses in a marriage. It occurs when one of those partners/spouses has reached a point where they are no longer communicating effectively with their other half or if they are feeling neglected by them or under pressure from them in some way where they just need to “escape”. It’s basically down to a state of dissatisfaction with the status quo that leads them to find comfort or satisfaction elsewhere outside of the relationship. Counseling for adultery at Thriveworks in Providence, RI is available for couples that find themselves either being unfaithful to each other or close to it.
A marriage or relationship that is affected by adultery or infidelity is under threat. Once a partner has been unfaithful, then all trust is gone, maybe forever. Other effects include:
- Grief. The faithful person has truly lost something and needs to grieve just the same as if someone they loved had died
- Anger and rage. Being cheated on is humiliating. One of the most humiliating things that can happen
- Guilt. On both sides, this can be crippling. One party can feel guilty about being unfaithful and the other can feel guilty about letting the situation get so far as it did.
Left untreated, these effects can get worse and worse and lead to real danger. Counseling for infidelity can help treat these effects and work towards regaining the trust that has been shattered.
Deciding to receive counseling for adultery is a huge deal. It means that both parties in the relationship/marriage have decided that they want to work things out. A professional counselor is a great place to try to start the healing process.
Through a counselor, a couple will:
- Start to understand why the infidelity occurred in the first place
- Learn how to trust each other again
- Begin the process of working to eliminate the negativity in the relationship that led to the infidelity. Learning to love each other again.
Receiving counseling for infidelity is a hard road, but it’s worth it if you truly love your partner/spouse and want your relationship back again. Please feel free to call Thriveworks Counseling in Providence, RI if you feel that way.