The bipolar “wellness warrior” Victoria Maxwell once stated, “Never underestimate a person’s potential for recovery.” Humans are incredibly resilient. Our brains can bounce back from the damage inflicted by trauma, stress, and even depression. But it takes work. In order to recover from adversity, you often need to face the problem and retrain your brain in a more positive direction. Sometimes this requires intensive therapy. Sometimes this requires learning holistic treatments like mindfulness and meditation. And sometimes this requires psychotropic medication that will give your neurochemistry a boost. But whatever it takes, recovery is possible. You can achieve your goals, no matter how distant they seem when you’re in the thick of depression. The bleakness can lift with professional support.
Depression counselors at Thriveworks in Novi, MI are fully licensed, compassionate experts who are ready to help you feel better. Depression counseling uses a variety of therapeutic approaches to tackle the origins of depression and the cognitive and emotional machinery that prolongs depressed feelings. With premium therapy, Thriveworks clients can finally see the other side of depression.
How Do You Know If You’re Depressed?
People who are struggling with depression usually share a few characteristics in common. The following criteria define depression in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), which is used by psychiatrists to diagnose mental health conditions:
- Negative thoughts and a depressed mood lasting longer than two weeks
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities you usually enjoy (anhedonia)
- Unintentional weight loss or gain driven by appetite changes
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down movements and thoughts)
- Fatigue and/or exhaustion
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Issues with attention or memory
- Suicidality (If you’re ever considering harming yourself, call a crisis hotline immediately.)
People can also present with more atypical symptoms of depression like irritability, insomnia, or muscle aches and pains. Mental health counselors at Thriveworks in Novi, MI are trained to look for physical and emotional symptoms of depression.
How Can Counseling Help Depression?
Counseling can help depression and other mood disorders with evidence-based treatment solutions like the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which seeks to modify maladaptive thought patterns and beliefs in order to improve psychological and behavioral health. CBT and counseling are usually first-line treatment approaches.
- Dialectical behavior therapy, which is a type of CBT that helps regulate emotions
- Supportive therapy, which enables a person to use their own resources to improve general functioning
- Psychodynamic therapy, which uses self-reflection and self-examination to bring awareness to the origins of distress
- Holistic remedies like meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, and mindfulness
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), which can help restore balance and self-esteem
- Substance abuse counseling, which can help people recover from habits that may worsen depression
- Lifestyle changes that might involve exercise and nutrition
- Family therapy or couples therapy, which includes loved ones in depression recovery
- Behavioral activation, which focuses on a person’s behavior and environment
- Prescription pharmaceuticals like antidepressant medications, which can be used in the short-term or long-term to support recovery. Psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Novi, MI can prescribe these medications as-needed.
What Are the Different Kinds of Depression?
Depression comes in different forms, and they may require different treatment protocols. Types of depressive disorder include the following:
- Major depression
- Manic depression (bipolar depression)
- Postpartum depression or postnatal depression (PPD)
- Persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia)
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Mixed depression with anxiety disorder
- Situational depression
- Psychotic depression
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
The highly qualified mental health providers at Thriveworks in Novi, MI can assess clients for these specific types of depression.
How Can I Quickly Get Help for Depression?
You can get help quickly for depression by reaching out to Thriveworks in Novi, MI. When you call the Thriveworks office, our staff can match you to a psychiatrist or depression counselor who can meet with you as early as tomorrow. Most clients can have an initial session within 24-48 hours of their call. You can also book appointments online through the Thriveworks website. Thriveworks depression counselors can meet with clients in-person at the modern office in Novi, or through a virtual online counseling session at your convenience. This latter option means that clients can meet with their counselor as soon as possible, even if their symptoms are overwhelming and they have limited mobility.
Get Depression Treatment Fast at Thriveworks in Novi, MI
Feelings of depression don’t have to take over your life. Depression is a highly treatable condition with the proper care and support. At Thriveworks in Novi, MI, our mental health therapists–recruited from the top 4% of providers in the area–have the experience and expertise to guide clients to the other side of depression. They also accept most major forms of health insurance, helping to keep this essential mental health service affordable to all who need it. Treating depression shouldn’t break the bank. You deserve premium care. Call Thriveworks today.