Divorce Counseling in Newton, MA—Counselors and Therapists at Thriveworks
Often, it feels picture perfect in the beginning. The time you spend together is filled with love, laughs, compassion. Rarely do you argue, and when you do, you’re both eager to apologize—to reconcile and return to your loving ways as quickly as possible. This is what many like to call the honeymoon stage.
But as with most things, the honeymoon stage doesn’t last forever. And a few months or years into your marriage you’re experiencing a completely different side of your spouse, of your relationship. The time you spend together is filled with animosity, dispute, indifference. You argue or disagree often and neither of you want to be the first to wave the white flag—to admit any wrongdoing and succumb to the “I told you so’s” that are sure to follow.
“You know that carnival ride where two cages swing in opposite directions, going higher and higher until they go over the top? That was us. We passed each other all the time, but we never actually stopped in the same place until it was time to get off the ride.” –Diane Hammond, Hannah’s Dream
If your marriage has taken a plummet and you’re going through a divorce, the divorce counselors at Thriveworks Newton want to help. This time is emotionally as well as physically draining, and these professionals know exactly how to support you through it. They can help you manage your emotions, as well as the serious stress that often comes with divorce. Furthermore, they can help you answer the question, “What’s next?” If you think you could benefit from working with a divorce counselor, reach out to Thriveworks Newton today.
How Can Divorce Counseling Help Me?
Divorce is not uncommon—according to the American Psychological Association (APA), about 40 to 50% of marriages end in divorce. And while we never hope or expect this is what will happen to our own marriages, sometimes it does. The good news is that a divorce counselor can help you come to terms with your divorce and understand how any of the following may have played a role in the demise of your marriage:
- Lack of communication
- Marrying prematurely
- Financial strain
- Jealousy and distrust
- Abuse, physical or emotional
- Substance abuse or addiction
These are all common challenges that can ultimately lead to divorce. In any case, your counselor at Thriveworks Newton will help you accept the outcome and move forward with your life. They’ll work with you to manage your emotions and avoid the harmful side effects a divorce can have on an individual, like:
- Anxiety and depression
- Social withdrawal or isolation
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Unhealthy changes in diet
- Significant weight gain or loss
- Suicidal thoughts or feelings
What Does Divorce Counseling Look Like?
Counseling sessions are typically tailored to each client. That said, the main objective of divorce counseling is to help the client deal with all of the changes that result from the separation. Now, you can seek divorce counseling with your partner or work with a counselor independently. Here’s how they might differ:
- In the former case, your counselor will work with you to make sure the separation goes smoothly. They can help the two of you decide who gets the mattress and who gets the TV, where the kids go this or that holiday, and how you’ll stay amicable with each other for both of your sakes. In sum, your counselor will concentrate their efforts on equipping the both of you with effective strategies for working well through the divorce process.
- In the latter case, your counselor will focus solely on you and your wellbeing during and/or after the divorce. They’ll dedicate their time and work to showing you how to live a happy, successful life as a single individual again. Ultimately, your counselor will help you find happiness, meaning, and fulfillment in your life during and after your divorce.
Do you think you could find value in working with a divorce counselor? The counselors at Thriveworks Newton are here for you. They’ll use their expertise to assess your unique situation and offer you the assistance that will prove to make a huge difference in your life.
Schedule a Divorce Counseling Session at Thriveworks Newton Today
The divorce counselors at Thriveworks Newton want to help you through this tough time. If you think you could find value from working with one of our skilled, caring professionals, schedule an appointment today. All you have to do is call (617) 992-2827. A scheduling specialist will get you all set up with the counselor who can best help you.