Overcoming an Addiction – Therapists and Counselors in Newton MA
To be addicted is to be dependent on something beyond your control, something that is not your friend. It’s akin to being a slave. Addiction comes in many forms, from finding that you’re addicted to drink, to discovering that you can’t get through the day without pornography or gambling. A Thriveworks Newton addiction counselor treats people with all of these addictions as well as addictions to drugs, shopping, eating, and things you might not even know that you could become addicted to. Basically, addiction is a crutch that you rely on and anything can become that crutch. But when it starts to consume you, you need to get your life back.
The Signs to look out for
People react differently to their addictions, depending on the person and, of course, the addiction. But the one common factor with all addicts is that they’ve been taken over by what they’re addicted to. They are no longer themselves. Once you know this, you can see the following:
- An addict changes. Maybe not quickly, but little by little you don’t know them anymore. They’re not the same person and their priorities have changed
- An addict will lie. He/she will lie about anything. They will lie to you and they will lie to themselves
- An addict will lose interest in his/her work, family, life in general.
These are generalizations, of course, but are largely true. The common thread is really the fact that the addict is consumed and will continue to feed his/her addiction until he or she ends up dead, sick, alone, homeless, destitute, or just plain defeated by life. But it doesn’t need to be like this. There is help out there, here in Newton MA .
Newton MA Addiction Counseling
If you feel like you are falling into the black hole of addiction, it’s possible—with help—to come out of it. It takes work and it takes guts but it’s possible and our addiction counseling services are among the best. With counseling, you will receive a program of:
- Group therapy where you work with your peers to provide mutual support
- Individual therapy where you receive one-on-one treatment to explore the possible causes of your addiction and the best plan to beat it
- Family therapy where your loved ones join in to understand how best to help and also to heal.
Therapy isn’t the be all and end all of curing addiction, but it can’t be overstated how important that it is. Therapy literally saves lives. If you’re feeling that your life needs saving, please contact us when you feel ready.