ADHD Testing in Manassas, VA—Prince William Psychological Assessments
Thriveworks Manassas offers psychological testing both in-person and in an online setting. We can conduct a variety of assessments, including ADHD testing. ADHD, or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, is a neurodevelopmental disorder that often begins in childhood. It can make social interactions difficult, cause low self-esteem, and make learning challenging. If you believe that you might have ADHD (or that your child might), we’re happy to meet with you and conduct ADHD testing. In addition to testing, we can provide treatment for ADHD right here at Thriveworks, which might involve ADHD counseling,
Our team understands that the symptoms of ADHD can make daily functioning hard—especially when you don’t yet have a diagnosis or answers as to why you think or behave the way that you do. Fortunately, ADHD testing can provide you with these answers. A diagnosis alone can make your symptoms more manageable.
Thriveworks Manassas is here to help you. If you’re exhibiting ADHD symptoms, it’s important that you get tested so that you can then move forward with treatment (if you do receive an ADHD diagnosis). Again, we can take care of both testing and treatment right here. To schedule your appointment, contact our office at (571) 589-3907. Our scheduling team will assist you and get you scheduled with a Thriveworks psychologist.
What Are Common ADHD Symptoms?
There are a few different types or presentations of ADHD, one of which is characterized by attention difficulty, another of which is characterized by hyperactivity, and the third being a combination of the two. To be diagnosed with any form of ADHD, kids 16 years and younger must exhibit six or more symptoms for 6 months or longer, while individuals 17 and older must exhibit five or more symptoms for 6 months or longer. Let’s look at each presentation’s specific symptoms, starting with ADHD, inattentive presentation:
- The individual struggles to focus on specific tasks
- He or she has trouble listening
- The individual makes careless mistakes and ignores details
- He or she doesn’t follow instructions properly
- The individual struggles to keep their space organized
- He or she isn’t fond of time-consuming activities
- The individual loses things easily and constantly
- He or she is easily distracted
- The individual is often forgetful
Now, let’s take a look at the specific symptoms of ADHD, hyperactive/impulsive presentation:
- He or she exhibits fidgety behavior
- They struggle to sit still for long periods of time
- He or she experiences restlessness when forced to sit still
- They are loud in completing leisure activities
- They talk endlessly
- He or she blurts out answers
- They have trouble waiting for their turn
- He or she interrupts other people when they’re speaking
Finally, ADHD, combined presentation is characterized by symptoms for inattentive and hyperactive/impulsive presentations. If you present symptoms of any ADHD type, it’s important that you talk with a professional, such as a psychologist at Thriveworks Manassas. They can provide you with ADHD testing and potentially offer a diagnosis.
How Does ADHD Testing Work?
As we just mentioned, the professionals at Thriveworks Manassas are happy to provide you with ADHD testing and walk you through the simple process. To conduct a test for ADHD, your provider will simply ask you questions and gather information about how you think as well as how you behave. Then, they’ll compare this information to the diagnosis criteria for ADHD:
- The individual presents several ADHD symptoms before age 12
- They present ADHD symptoms in more than one setting, such as at home, school, or work
- Symptoms harm one’s day to day functioning
- Symptoms aren’t better explained by another condition
Again, if you are experiencing ADHD symptoms, it’s important that you speak with a professional and get ADHD testing as soon as possible. This will ensure that you begin treatment sooner, if you do receive an ADHD diagnosis.
Schedule ADHD Testing at Thriveworks Manassas in Prince William
Thriveworks Manassas, VA has psychologists, therapists, and counselors on our staff who are here to help you on your mental health journey. We can provide you with ADHD testing, treatment (such as ADHD counseling), and endless support throughout the process. Know that we have both in-person and online options for ADHD testing as well as ADHD counseling.
To schedule ADHD testing at Thriveworks Manassas, call our office at (571) 589-3907. We’ll get you all set up for an appointment at your earliest convenience.