Trauma Therapy in Decatur, GA—Therapists and Counselors at Thriveworks
“Trauma creates changes you don’t choose. Healing is about creating change you do choose.”
– Michelle Rosenthal
No one deserves to go through a traumatic event, whether it is emotional, physical, or sexual trauma. The range and intensity of thoughts and emotions in the aftermath can leave people confused, injured, and scared. But while you may have experienced the trauma alone, you don’t have to heal from it alone. The counselors at Thriveworks Decatur are here to support you and walk beside you in this healing process.
Everybody will respond differently in the wake of a trauma. Each individual experience is entirely valid. Any pain, anxiety, depression, anger, and everything else that goes into the healing process is real. Maybe it’s changed in recent weeks, or maybe you’ve felt like this for years. Whatever your past experience, you deserve to feel at peace with a fulfilling life. Healing from a trauma isn’t always comfortable, and our Thriveworks counselors want to acknowledge the courage you’ve shown in reaching out.
Overcoming a traumatic event is an exhausting, uphill battle. But it is possible. Together, we can find relief from this pain.
What Are Some Symptoms of Trauma?
Much of the damage trauma deals is to the mind. The human brain is an incredible organ that allows us to fully interact with the world. However, the very things that make it wonderful also make it susceptible to highly stressful and emotional events such as trauma.
A traumatic event can literally reshape the brain. It can teach us to act like we are always in danger, even if we are entirely safe. This causes many of the more frustrating symptoms of trauma. When you can’t trust your mind, it makes day to day living difficult to say the least.
But our brain is also remarkable in its ability to heal. Scientists use the term “neuroplasticity.” Basically, our brain is more plastic than it is solid stone: trauma can shape it, but together, we can shape it back to a healthy, happy brain.
If you think you or a loved one is struggling with the aftermaths of a trauma, look for these symptoms:
- Recurrent, painful dreams
- Emotional numbness
- Jittery/always on edge
- Difficulty concentrating
- Hesitancy to open up to other people, even those you trusted before the trauma
- Persistent fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame
- Diminished interest in activities you previously enjoy
- Difficulty feeling positive emotions
- A general feeling of detachment from the world or yourself
- Continuous feeling of discomfort in stomach and gut
Trauma infiltrates every part of our life, and the symptoms are too vast to list here. It all depends on the type of trauma and your individual makeup. The uniqueness of dealing with a trauma can leave many people feeling isolated and alone. You don’t have to be anymore! Thriveworks Decatur counselors are ready to listen and guide you towards a happier you. If you think you could benefit from professional counseling, it’s always safest to call. We can walk you through the process and help you decide in further detail.
How We Can Help
Our Thriveworks counselors strive to individualize each counseling session. Just as you and your experience are unique, so too should the therapy process be. We want to walk beside you, not tell you what to do.
However, we do have some proven techniques that can help. A counseling session with a professional Decatur counselor may include:
- Education on the symptoms of trauma
- Learning effective coping skills when symptoms do flare up (things like relaxation exercises, anger-management techniques and guided imagery)
- Guidance on how to better manage sleep, exercise and diet- which may have been severely impacted by the traumatic event and are vital in the healing process
- Identify and address any guilt, self-blame or other negative emotions surrounding what happened. The trauma is not your fault
- Walk through the lingering fear and anxiety. It can be painful, but the unaddressed emotions play a large part in the negative aftermath of a trauma
- Address any comorbid struggles such as anxiety or depression
Coping with a trauma is far from easy. Usually it is complex, time consuming, and exhausting. The Thriveworks Decatur counselors are trained to maximize the healing process and get you to the life you want to have.
You don’t have to lose your present to your past. Give us a call today. We are excited to meet you and begin the healing process together.