Depression Therapy in Atlanta, GA—Depression Therapists, Counselors
Depression has a way of making you feel worthless, hopeless, unwilling. You don’t have the drive to go through the motions of your normal routine or to even partake in events that used to bring you joy. It can make you feel like you’re shackled to your bed, and as if nobody—not your friends nor your family members—can help. It can even convince you to start ignoring or avoiding contact with your loved ones, to stop going to work.
“No darkness lasts forever. And even there, there are stars.” –Ursula K. Le Guin (The Farthest Shore)
Depression is a deep sadness that can quickly take over your life. Some people experience mild symptoms, while other experience severe symptoms. Either way, it’s important to talk to someone about how you’re feeling. Because depression is a highly treatable disease. Though it might make you feel worthless, hopeless, and unwilling, if you push through and reach out for help, you can work through it.
The depression therapists at Thriveworks Atlanta, GA possess skills and experience specific to your very experience. They understand how you feel, and they understand how to make you feel better. Our depression therapists can help you manage your depression symptoms, find your drive for life again, and ultimately live a happier as well as a more successful life. If you feel depressed or are experiencing depression symptoms, consider working with a Thriveworks Atlanta, GA depression therapist. To schedule a depression therapy session, call (678) 804-7374.
Depression Symptoms: Am I Depressed?
When we feel depressed, we tend to convince ourselves that everything’s okay. That we’re just feeling sad and that it will pass. But depression isn’t mere sadness; therefore, it shouldn’t be treated as such. Depression, when left untreated, can worsen and have a negative impact on every important area of your life. This means that recognizing the symptoms, and as soon as possible, goes a long way. Here’s a list of common depression symptoms:
- Depressed mood, which can be characterized by a deep sadness and feelings of hopelessness
- Diminished interest in activities you used to enjoy
- Major changes in appetite or weight
- Sleep disturbances, including insomnia as well as hypersomnia
- Changes in activity levels
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Lack of focus
- Suicidal thoughts and ideation
If the above symptoms describe your current situation (even if it’s just a few of them), reach out to a health care professional. This can be your primary physician or a licensed mental health professional, such as someone from our depression team at Thriveworks Atlanta, GA. They can help you understand and manage these symptoms.
Therapy for Depression: How Can It Help?
Therapy for depression proves to be an effective treatment option. Your depression therapist will work with you to provide you with the right skills, tools, and knowledge to manage your depressive thoughts and feelings. Now, there are a few specific therapy methods that prove especially effective in treating depression. These include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT focuses on the negative impact of negative thoughts. In summary, you will learn how negative thinking impacts your feelings and therefore your entire life. Your depression therapist will work with you to overcome this negative thinking and employ more positive thinking.
- Interpersonal therapy: Interpersonal therapy, on the other hand, focuses on resolving interpersonal problems. For example, if you feel depressed following a hard breakup, a major life change, or another interpersonal challenge, interpersonal therapy can prove especially beneficial. Your depression therapist will help you work through the problem at hand.
- Psychodynamic therapy: Psychodynamic therapy is an in-depth form of talk therapy, which focuses on the individual’s worldview. This method helps those who have lost meaning in life or are struggling to build and maintain personal relationships with others, which have led them to feel depressed or contributed to their depression.
If you decide to partner with a Thriveworks Atlanta depression therapist, they will get to know you as well as your unique needs. Then, they will develop a personalized treatment plan that is designed to help you manage your specific depression symptoms and cause(s), if there is one.
Work with a Depression Therapist at Thriveworks Atlanta, GA
If you’re feeling depressed, developing depression symptoms, or even worry that you might fall into a depressed state due to your current life circumstances, consider reaching out to Thriveworks Atlanta, GA. We have a team of depression therapists who will use their specific skills, training, and experience in helping people with depression to help you, too.
To schedule your first depression therapy appointment, just call (678) 804-7374. Our scheduling team will get you set up for your first session right away, be it in-person or online. That’s right—in addition to in-person counseling, we also offer online counseling for depression as well as other life challenges. Just let us know which you’d prefer. We look forward to hearing from you.