Do you feel like your out-of-control anger is taking over you and your life? Everything is triggering that fiery feeling inside of you and you are always pushing your anger onto everyone and everything. You might think: Why hold in my anger? Isn’t it good to release my anger when I get mad? Well, your anger could potentially have a negative impact on the way people see you, impair your judgment, and get in the way of your success.
We all have our triggers. But the roots of our anger can be labeled as one of two categories: internal and external events. Internal events that might trigger an angry reaction include self-perceived failures and frustrations, while external events include public humiliation and loss. Both internal and external events, such as the previously mentioned, can result in anger but anger doesn’t always take the same form. Anger can come out in forms such as tantrums and outbursts, but it can also build up internally and lead to sulking or even depressive symptoms.
In any case, if you aren’t managing your anger properly, it’s important that you get anger management help. Consider working with a professional at Thriveworks Chesapeake. We have skilled, caring providers who specialize in helping individuals with their anger.
Do I Need Anger Management Help?
Anyone who thinks that they could better manage their anger can benefit from working with a counselor or therapist. However, the following individuals may find anger management particularly beneficial:
- People who display violent behavior when angry
- Individuals who display bullying behavior
- Those battling substance dependency
- People with mental illnesses that cause difficult behavioral changes
- People with mental illnesses that make it especially difficult to control emotions
The first step in managing your anger is realizing that you have a problem and that there is a need for improvement. While it might be hard to admit that you could benefit from some help, it’s incredibly important and the decision to do so will be well worth it.
10 Tips That Will Help You Manage Anger
Reach out to a counselor for anger management help at Thriveworks Chesapeake. In the meantime, here are a few tips to implement while you’re waiting to meet with your counselor or therapist:
- Think before you speak. Don’t let your anger speak for you. Take a step back and think before you speak.
- Once you’re calm, express your anger. Give yourself a chance to calm down and clear your mind. Allow yourself to speak once you have time to gather your thoughts.
- Stay active. Physical activity can help reduce stress. If you’re starting to feel overtaken by anger, go for a run or a walk.
- Take a time out. Give yourself a short break when you feel yourself heating up. The quiet time can help you calm down.
- Identify possible solutions. Instead of jumping to an angry outburst, think of solutions to the issue at hand causing your anger.
- Stick with “I” statements. Don’t place the blame on others. Use “I” statements to discuss what is causing the anger.
- Don’t hold a grudge. Forgiveness is another a great way to flush out the anger inside of you.
- Use humor to release tension. Lighten the mood with humor.
- Practice relaxation skills. Take deep breaths, listen to your favorite music, journal. Do what brings you joy.
- Seek help. If your anger is out of control and you don’t have the ability to put these tips to use, schedule an appointment with a professional (if you haven’t already).
Anger Management at Thriveworks
At Thriveworks Chesapeake, we have clinicians that are experienced in helping those with anger management issues. Each person will have a treatment plan based around their individual needs.
Common goals surrounding anger management include helping clients recognize their triggers, working on skills to respond appropriately when their anger is triggered, and noting times they didn’t react logically when angry. At Thriveworks, our counselors can work with clients to help them learn to stay calm while still being assertive when necessary. Anger management is meant to teach alternative ways of dealing with situations that cause anger so the outcome can be a more positive one.
Call Thriveworks Chesapeake Today
If you feel like you could benefit from anger management, give Thriveworks Chesapeake a call today. Anger is a normal feeling; we understand that and want to help you manage your thoughts and actions.
At Thriveworks, we strive to offer service to anyone that needs it. Because of this, we partner with a large number of insurance plans. We have a “no waiting list” policy and new clients can have an appointment within 24 hours. We understand that life is busy—we offer flexible hours with evening and weekend appointments.
If you’re ready to set up an appointment for anger management, call Thriveworks Chesapeake today at (757) 414-6427 We look forward to hearing from you.