Angie broke up with her boyfriend of 3 years. They’ve lived together for the last year, and through that time she found they were not compatible as long-term partners. She moves back into her parent’s house while she figures out her next step but is still dealing with her ex calling her on a daily basis trying to get her back.
David and Sam decided to break up mutually. It just wasn’t working out, and while it was a healthy breakup, Sam is still feeling the loss of it. He can’t sleep, has trouble focusing, and his mood has been fluctuating.
Alex just got out of an abusive relationship. While they know it was for the best, they’re still missing their partner.
Breaking up is hard, whatever the circumstances are. But it doesn’t have to be impossible. Thriveworks The Woodlands is here for you as you traverse the messy aftermaths of a breakup and the wonderful healing of life afterwards.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment today, give Thriveworks The Woodlands a call at 281-667-9790.
How Does a Breakup Affect My Mental Health?
Breakups are commonplace, most people will go through at least one in their lifetime. But just because something is commonplace doesn’t make it easy. The emotions after a breakup can range from relief to grief, all in one day. All of it is valid. You gave yourself to someone, and you probably didn’t expect to breakup. It is natural to go through some stages of grief!
However, sometimes these feelings can spiral into something worse. When those feelings of guilt, regret, and grief stretch into weeks and months, or when the intensity of emotions is too strong to bear, a professional breakup counselor can help.
If you are experiencing any of the following, it’s worth reaching out to a Thriveworks The Woodlands Breakup counselor:
- Loss of motivation or direction
- Changes in sleeping or eating habits
- Negative impacts in your work and social life
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Thoughts of committing suicide
Breaking up is not the end, it is the start of something new. Thriveworks The Woodlands wants to help you recognize your own worth and the strength in your newfound singleness.
How Can a Thriveworks in The Woodlands Breakup Counselors Help Me?
At the end of the day, the only person who can take the steps of healing and move forward is you. However, you don’t have to do it alone. And just because someone else you know did it alone does’ mean you have to! We are all on our unique and separate paths of healing. It is not our place to judge how anyone gets from point A to point B.
At Thriveworks The Woodlands we create a nonjudgmental and client-centered practice that fits itself to your goals, doubts, and fears. Every person is unique, just how every breakup is unique, and that means every counseling session should be unique.
In general, there are three main areas of concern that a breakup might affect:
- Mental Health– Whatever the circumstances of your breakup, it meant you lost a central part of your life. Coming back from that is going to have a mental strain, whether or not the change was overall positive or negative. It is okay to struggle in this moment! Together, we can get back up and build a brighter, happier future.
- Social– When you are in a relationship with someone, many of their friends becomes your friends. In the aftermaths of a breakup, you might be dealing with having your social circle taken from you, loneliness, or judgment.
- Financial– Depending on your situation, your financial health might have been severely impacted. Many couples now live together and help support each other. Coming back from a breakup might mean reworking the budget, something that can seem overwhelming with everyone else going on. Let Thriveworks the Woodlands help you take a step back and take a breath before you plunge into finances. We will be with you every step of the way.
In the aftermath of a breakup, all the little things will hit you. Suddenly eating dinner alone feels insurmountable. Picking out gifts for friends and family is lonely. Even watching television feels odd. There are a lot of adjustments to be made post-breakup, and that’s okay. Let’s make sure we’re taking care of your health as we do so.
For more information, or to schedule a breakup counseling session today, give Thriveworks in The Woodlands a call at 281-667-9790.