Woodbridge, VA Insomnia Therapists and Counselors
For some, falling asleep and staying asleep is easy, but for those who struggle with insomnia, their experiences are very different. Trouble falling asleep or difficulty getting enough sleep is a disruptive but common experience. Unfortunately, disruption in nighttime sleeping patterns often leads to disruption in daily routines. The Internet is full of at-home insomnia remedies that work for some people but not for most, or they work for a while but not long-term.
While home remedies may or may not help people sleep better, cognitive behavior therapists have a proven track record for helping their clients with insomnia. Therapists who utilize cognitive behavior therapy equip their clients with practical help for sleep, and they identify anything that may be causing or exacerbating the insomnia.
If insomnia is keeping you up at night and making your days harder, therapy for insomnia in Woodbridge, VA could bring the relief you have been seeking.
Insomnia Disrupts Life
A sleep disorder that affects many, insomnia can be acute or chronic. Some people experience insomnia for a few weeks at a time during stressful life events. Others live with on-going sleep deprivation. Regardless of its duration, sleepless or sleep deprived nights make navigating the day harder.
- Simple tasks may feel complex.
- Focusing may seem impossible.
- Irritability may be harming your relationships.
- Extra weight may be taking its toll on your body.
Insomnia can affect people’s mental and physical health as well. Sleep deprivation and disturbances are linked with increased risk of…
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- The common cold and flu
Maybe you have experienced these difficulties. If so, you are not alone. Many people struggle against insomnia.
What Does Insomnia Look Like?
David can fall asleep easily, but he wakes for a few hours in the middle of the night—every night. Instead of continuous sleep, he sleeps for a few hours, wakes for a few hours, then sleeps for a few more hours.
Kari can’t fall asleep until it’s almost time to wake up again. She might get an hour or two of sleep before sunrise, but she spends most of the night exhausted but awake.
James falls asleep easily and seemingly stays asleep. But when his alarm sounds each morning, he feels more tired than when he got in bed the previous night. Far from being restorative, sleep drains James, leaving him exhausted.
Does any of this sound familiar? If you are experiencing similar sleep patterns or symptoms, help is available through insomnia therapy at Woodbridge, VA.
Woodbridge, VA Insomnia Therapy: What Can I Expect?
Our therapists take a multi-faceted approach to their insomnia counseling. They are trained in cognitive behavior therapy and are equipped help their clients with both short-term relief and long-term solutions. Many of our clients have seen a better, more restorative night’s sleep.
Interested in waking up rested and ready for the day? Insomnia therapy at Woodbridge, VA may include…
- Keeping a sleep log. Before applying random solutions, our counselors work with their clients to pinpoint their specific sleep problems. Insomnia takes many forms and can be caused by a variety of problems. Our counselors are not interested in treating generic insomnia, they are interested in treating your insomnia.
- Cultivating relaxation techniques. Being awake in the middle of the night can feel overwhelming and induce anxiety. Negative thoughts might bombard you and compound sleep problems. Our counselors are trained to help their clients regain control of their thoughts. Directing your mind toward positive, calming thoughts takes time, practice, and a professional’s help, but learning how to relax your mind and body can lead to healthier sleep habits.
- Restricting sleep. Sometimes sleep disturbances at night are caused by day-time napping or by being in bed while not asleep. Our counselors work with their clients to come up with a plan that restricts sleep to nighttime.
- Optimizing the sleep environment. Not all sleep disturbances are internal. Sometimes, people have difficulty sleeping because of the environment in their bedroom: light, noise, and temperature. Our counselors know what elements increase the likelihood of sleep and which inhibit sleep. They can guide their clients toward better sleeping environments.
- Addressing the insomnia’s foundational causes. Sometimes insomnia occurs on its own, but often insomnia accompanies another mental or physical health issue. If insomnia’s foundational cause isn’t addressed, even the best sleep techniques may fail. Our therapists help their clients learn coping mechanisms if their insomnia pops up during life’s big transitions. Or if their clients’ insomnia is a symptom of depression, our therapists ensure their clients receive the help they need. Whatever the foundational cause, our therapists work with their clients to ensure they receive the care they need.
As you can see, this approach is not easy or quick, but our therapists have seen results with their clients. Consistent, good sleep gives you the best chance at living a physically and mentally healthy life. It’s worth the effort.
Insomnia Therapy Appointments Available at Thriveworks Woodbridge, VA
Woodbridge, VA has appointments available for insomnia counseling, and we accept most insurance plans. We know insomnia makes life hard, so we want to make reaching out for help as easy as possible.
Our counselors care about their clients and want to see their sleep restored. Insomnia can be lonely and overwhelming. Help is available. Call Thriveworks Woodbridge, VA.