Eating Disorder Therapy in Woodbridge, VA—Anorexia and Bulimia Counselors
According to the Eating Recovery Center, around 30 million people in the US will suffer from an eating disorder. This is a significant portion of the population, especially considering the serious health threats that are associated with these disorders.
Unfortunately, over 70% of those suffering from eating disorders do not seek treatment. Why? There are many reasons. Among them: stigma and misconceptions. If you are suffering with an eating disorder, such as anorexia or bulimia, know that treatment is out there and that you should not be ashamed to receive help. Thriveworks Woodbridge, VA offers eating disorder therapy, which is provided by skilled, caring mental health professionals. These professionals have skills and experience specific to helping people just like you. They can help you better understand causes of and contributing factors to your disorder; more importantly, they can help you recover from the given eating disorder.
Thriveworks Woodbridge, VA eating disorder therapists are here and ready to help you. To schedule your appointment, simply call our office. A scheduling specialist will help you book your session quickly—most new clients have their appointments within 24 hours of their call.
Do I Have an Eating Disorder? What Are Common Eating Disorder Symptoms?
As with all illnesses, it’s important to understand the symptoms so that if you start to exhibit signs of an eating disorder you can get the help you need and quickly! While the exact symptoms vary for each eating disorder (and from individual to individual), here are some common eating disorder symptoms:
- Behaviors and attitudes that reflect that weight loss and/or dieting are primary concerns
- Obsession over body image, body weight, food, calories, dieting
- Episodes of binge eating which is often alternated with vomiting of food.
- Feelings of discomfort when eating around others
- Skipping meals or taking disproportionately small portions
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- Observing the wrong diet which is designed to reduce the person’s intake of nutrients
- Excessive concern with one’s body size and/or shape
- Feeling of shame or guilt after eating
- Mood swings
If you can relate to several or more of the symptoms above, you might have an eating disorder or another problem with food. It’s important that you talk to a professional so that you can iron out the problem and make sure you’re taking proper care of yourself—body and mind.
What Are The Top Causes of Anorexia and Bulimia?
Eating disorders are more complicated than many people realize. There are several factors that contribute to these disorders, including:
- Genetics: This is one of the main contributors to the development of eating disorders. The likelihood of a person to develop an eating disorder is increased by genetics. The person’s genes can also affect the way he/she behaves toward food.
- Mental health issues: A person who is suffering from depression is more likely to be obsessed or to be totally neglectful of food. However, a person who is suffering from eating disorders is also more likely to experience symptoms of depression.
- Self-esteem: One’s personal experiences, as related to their self-esteem in particular, can also contribute to the development of anorexia, bulimia, or another eating disorder. He/she can experience shame and guilt and this can affect his overall well-being.
- One’s exposure to diet and other weight-loss-related products: This can also have a major effect on one’s body image and contribute to the development of an eating disorder.
- Other influences: Other factors such as peer pressure can also affect the person’s perception on the ideal body weight and lead to an eating disorder.
Sometimes, it isn’t clear why someone’s developed an eating disorder. This can be frustrating, but it’s not what’s important. What’s important is that the individual gets the help and support that they need. Thriveworks Woodbridge is here to provide that eating disorder help and support.
Schedule Eating Disorder Counseling at Thriveworks Woodbridge, VA
Inadequate food intake and unhealthy portions of nutrients absorbed by the body can cause serious and high risk illnesses such as stroke, hypertension, and cardiovascular diseases. Additionally, the person will suffer mentally and emotionally. Take care of yourself—your body and your mind—by working with an eating disorder counseling. The eating disorder therapists at Thriveworks Woodbridge, VA are here to help you recover and live a happier, healthier life again.
Start your treatment now with Woodbridge counseling for bulimia, anorexia, or another eating disorder. With our professional and experienced counselors, we will be able to guide you every step of the way. Just call our office to schedule an appointment.