Winston-Salem Psychiatry—Psychiatrists in Winston-Salem, NC
Jonathan has been exhibiting symptoms of depression. He isn’t interested in talking to or seeing his friends. He can’t focus at work. And he feels worthless as well as hopeless about where his life is headed.
Jonathan’s friends and family express their concern. They can tell that he isn’t his normal self and that he’s suffering. They encourage him to talk to a psychiatrist about the symptoms that he is experiencing so that he can receive a diagnosis and get the treatment that he needs.
Psychiatrists can help people like Jonathan, as well as those suffering from other mental health conditions. These individuals are medical doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating mental health conditions. Their medical advice and treatment might involve therapy, medication, or both.
If you are experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition, consider talking to an online psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Winston-Salem, NC. Our team is able to help you over the phone or video. Online services enable clients to get the help that they need from the comfort and convenience of home.
Who Can a Psychiatrist Help?
As we began to explain above, a psychiatrist can help many different people. It can help people like Jonathan who are feeling depressed. It can help other people too who may be experiencing symptoms of a different mental health condition. Here are a couple of mental health conditions that are commonly diagnosed and/or treated by a psychiatrist:
- Depressive disorders: There are different types of depression including major depressive disorder, minor depression, bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorder, postpartum depression, and others. If you are feeling depressed and believe that you may have a depressive disorder, a psychiatrist can assess your symptoms, offer a diagnosis, and also provide you with a treatment plan or refer you to another professional for treatment.
- Anxiety disorders: There are also different types of anxiety, which include generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and others. If you are exhibiting symptoms of an anxiety disorder, you should explain them to a psychiatrist. They can identify what type of anxiety you might be experiencing, what may have caused it, and also offer treatment.
Psychiatrists can go on to offer therapy, medication, or another form of treatment for the above conditions as well as substance abuse, addiction, and others. They can also work with another mental health provider to ensure you receive this treatment.
In addition, some psychiatrists specialize in adolescent psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry, and others.
Psychiatrists vs. Psychologists: How Do They Differ?
Psychiatrists are medical doctors who can utilize a variety of treatments including talk therapy and medication. Meanwhile, psychologists are mental health professionals who have masters or doctorates in psychology. These professionals help their clients with a range of mental health challenges.
The biggest difference between the two professions is that psychiatrists are able to prescribe and manage medication. Typically, psychologists cannot (with the exception of those who practice in a few states).
If you do require medication, a psychiatrist can help you find a medication that works the best for you. They’ll talk to you about how exactly you should take it, what side effects you might experience, and other important information related to medication management.
Schedule a Psychiatry Appointment at Thriveworks in Winston-Salem, NC
You can schedule a psychiatry appointment at Thriveworks in Winston-Salem, NC today. Better yet, you might meet with your psychiatrist today if you call to schedule your appointment right now. We can often set new clients up with a provider the same or next day.
In addition to same- and next-day appointments, Thriveworks in Winston-Salem can offer other benefits, like:
- Flexible appointments in the evenings and on the weekends
- Flexible cancellations with just 23.5-hour notice
- Exclusive access to videos and other helpful resources
- Access to your provider between sessions when needed
- Support from our scheduling team 7 days a week
If you choose to work with one of our psychiatrists, you can look forward to talking to your psychiatrist online. While it may be necessary for you to come in for an appointment every now and then, you can attend the majority of them over the phone or video chat.