What can counseling do for those who suffer with depression?
Depression counseling can help those with major depression, minor depression, postpartum depression, persistent depressive disorder, and more. The providers at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX will develop a unique treatment plan based on your specific experience, needs, and goals.
Is it worth going to therapy for depression?
It is absolutely worth going to therapy for depression — depression counseling helps people better manage their symptoms and get back to living happier lives again.
How does depression counseling work?
Depression counseling works by helping people pinpoint life problems, distorted thought patterns, and other causes of their depression, then process and work through them in order to mitigate the negative effects those factors have on their lives.
Signs of depression
Common signs of depression include:
- Consistent low mood
- Oversleeping or difficulty sleeping
- Changes in diet (eating much more or less)
- Withdrawal and isolation
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Loss of interest in previous hobbies or activities
- Excessive substance use
Is depression counseling conducted in person or online?
Thriveworks depression counseling in Rowlett, TX is conducted both in person and online by video. We encourage you to choose the option that works best for you.
How often should you have therapy for depression?
Depression counseling can last for a few weeks, months, or longer, dependent on the severity of one's depression as well as their needs and preferences.
How much does depression counseling cost?
At Thriveworks, we take most major forms of insurance, which means that many of our clients only pay a $0-$50 co-pay per session. However, there are also self-pay options that sit around $200 per session, depending on the service and location, for those who are out-of-network.
Need more help deciding?
What Are the Symptoms of Clinical Depression?
According to the DSM, depression typically presents as:
- A depressed mood (continuously feeling sad and/or negative) that endures longer than two weeks
- Anhedonia (loss of interest or pleasure in activities you usually enjoy)
- Changes in appetite and/or unintentional weight loss or gain
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down movements and thoughts)
- Fatigue or exhaustion
- Overwhelming feelings of despondency, guilt, or worthlessness
- Problems with attention and/or memory
- Suicidality (Call a crisis center immediately if you’re ever considering self-harm.)
Depression counselors might also look for the following potential symptoms of depression:
- Irritability (a depression symptom in men more often than women)
- Self-medication through substance abuse or addiction
- Psychomotor agitation (sped-up thoughts and actions)
- New sleeping patterns like insomnia or sleeping too much
- Changes in sex drive (libido)
- Social isolation
How Can Therapy Help You Cope with Depression?
The depression therapists at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX can help people cope with and overcome their depression by offering the following evidence-based treatments:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which can modify maladaptive thought patterns and beliefs to make lasting changes on a person’s mental outlook
- Interpersonal therapy, which can improve interpersonal functioning
- Psychodynamic therapy, which uses self-reflection and self-examination in talk therapy to explore the psychological roots of suffering
- Holistic remedies like meditation and mindfulness, which can also reduce anxiety when treating depression
- Family therapy or couples therapy, which can help your loved ones cope with your mental health condition
- Behavioral activation, which focuses on a person’s behavior and environment
- Psychiatric medications prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatric NP, which can address underlying neurochemical imbalances
Get Exceptional Treatment for Depression at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX
The premium depression counseling services at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX accept most major health insurance plans. Thriveworks therapists can meet with clients in person at the modern office, or virtually anywhere through online counseling. Clients can choose what works best for them. As an additional benefit, Thriveworks clients can access their provider between sessions by email or phone.
When you call the Thriveworks office or book an appointment online, you can meet with your provider within 7 days of booking.
Call today to get started on your healing journey with Thriveworks.