The writer Linda Poindexter stated, “One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart.” Depression is a mental health condition that can feel like a giant fissure, not a small crack, but it doesn’t have to break you. People recover from depression all the time. With professional attention, the condition is highly treatable.
Depression counseling at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX can help people overcome their depression. The premium, licensed psychiatrists and therapists at Thriveworks can diagnose, treat, and help prevent depressive episodes, whether you’re suffering from postpartum depression, major depression, mild depression, dysthymia (depression lasting longer than two years), or bipolar depression (aka manic depression). Thriveworks providers have the compassion, expertise, and insights to tackle these forms of depression and put clients back on the path to mental health.
What Are the Symptoms of Clinical Depression?
Clinical depression, synonymous with major depression, can manifest in a number of ways. Psychiatrists and depression counselors at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX use a manual called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) to diagnose depression. According to the DSM, depression has eight criteria:
- A depressed mood (continuously feeling sad and/or negative) that endures longer than two weeks
- Anhedonia (loss of interest or pleasure in activities you usually enjoy)
- Changes in appetite and/or unintentional weight loss or gain
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down movements and thoughts)
- Fatigue or exhaustion
- Overwhelming feelings of despondency, guilt, or worthlessness
- Problems with attention and/or memory
- Suicidality (Call a crisis center immediately if you’re ever considering self-harm.)
Depression counselors might also look for the following potential symptoms of depression:
- Irritability (a depression symptom in men more often than women)
- Self-medication through substance abuse or addiction
- Psychomotor agitation (sped-up thoughts and actions)
- New sleeping patterns like insomnia or sleeping too much
- Changes in sex drive (libido)
- Social isolation
A psychiatrist or counselor will want to rule out other medical causes, like a thyroid disorder, for some of these symptoms before diagnosing depression.
How Can Therapy Help You Cope with Depression?
The top-rated therapists at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX can help people cope with and overcome their depression by offering the following evidence-based treatments:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which can modify maladaptive thought patterns and beliefs to make lasting changes on a person’s mental outlook
- Interpersonal therapy, which can improve interpersonal functioning
- Psychodynamic therapy, which uses self-reflection and self-examination in talk therapy to explore the psychological roots of suffering
- Holistic remedies like meditation and mindfulness, which can also reduce anxiety when treating depression
- Family therapy or couples therapy, which can help your loved ones cope with your mental health condition
- Behavioral activation, which focuses on a person’s behavior and environment
- Psychiatric medications prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist, which can address underlying neurochemical imbalances
What Does Depression Look Like in Children?
Children can have the same depression symptoms that adults have, but the expert depression counselors at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX will also be on the lookout for “masked” depression, where a depressed child acts out with angry behavior. Teachers and other parental figures might have important insights about a child’s depression symptoms if they spend significant amounts of time with a child. For example, a teacher might have noticed social withdrawal at school, or difficulty concentrating on schoolwork. A soccer coach might notice that a child no longer enjoys playing the game.
Who Experiences Depression?
Anyone can get depression, and millions of people show symptoms of the condition every year. Children, adolescents, and adults are all vulnerable. People who seem to have it all, like wealthy celebrities, also get depression. The following stars have been outspoken about their personal battles with the mental condition:
- Chrissy Teigen
- Kerry Washington
- Lady Gaga
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
- Katy Perry
- Taraji P. Henson
- Kristen Bell
If you’re experiencing symptoms of depression, it’s best to get professional intervention early before your life is potentially disrupted. The depression counselors at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX can help get you back on track toward achieving your goals.
Get Exceptional Treatment for Depression at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX
The premium depression counseling services at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX are fully licensed, thus sessions are usually covered by major health insurance plans. Thriveworks therapists can meet with clients in-person at the modern office, or virtually anywhere through online counseling. Clients have the ability to choose what works best for them. As an additional enrollment benefit, Thriveworks clients can access their provider between sessions by email or phone.
When you call the Thriveworks office or book an appointment online, you can meet with your provider as early as tomorrow. Most clients have an initial session within 24-48 hours of their booking.
Call today to get started on your healing journey with Thriveworks.