One of the best ways to deal with anxiety is to learn about your own anxiety: your symptoms, what triggers it, and what coping mechanisms have been effective in the past. When you learn what your anxiety is tied to, it can help you be mindful of what's really happening as well as prevent and mitigate symptoms by processing and working through the issue in therapy. Other strategies that have been shown to help manage anxiety are meditation, challenging anxious thoughts, exercising, and journaling.
The writer Charles Bukowski once stated, “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.” For someone with an anxiety disorder, it may not be unusual to wake up thinking that something terrible is going to happen. The feeling might reside in the pit of your stomach or in your persistent worried thoughts, but it’s very real.
If you’re feeling anxious and wondering, “Is there an anxiety therapist near me?” know that the answer is yes. We offer in-person and online anxiety therapy at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX — in which we focus on helping people with anxiety who are grappling with overwhelming fears and worries. Our anxiety therapists use evidence-based treatments like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to zero in on the thought patterns driving the anxiety.
How Does Anxiety Counseling Work?
Anxiety can manifest in a variety of ways, from physical to behavioral. Some people may only experience anxiety in the form of a distressing internal monologue, while others may withdraw from their loved ones in order to cope with their social anxiety disorder (which causes social anxiety in social situations). The expert anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX will work to identify the type of anxiety you are experiencing, discuss risk factors and potential causes, and then also — importantly — help you better manage your symptoms.
The following list is of common symptoms of anxiety disorders, and includes both mental and physical symptoms:
- Disrupted sleep patterns
- Unintentional weight fluctuations
- Digestive problems, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Migraines or headaches
- Memory and focus issues
- Obsessive behaviors
- Substance abuse issues
- Accelerated heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Faintness or dizzy spells
A mental health professional will want to rule out medical or lifestyle reasons for symptoms before beginning treatment for anxiety.
Is There Anxiety Therapy Near Me?
We offer anxiety therapy both in person at our Rowlett office as well as online. Our anxiety therapists will develop a treatment plan for you that will address your particular type of anxiety.
For example, recommended treatments for someone with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) might be very different from treatments for separation anxiety disorder, selective mutism, or another type of anxiety disorder. The following types of therapy have been proven effective at treating anxiety:
- Exposure therapy, especially for specific phobias
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Psychiatric medication like antidepressants
- Marriage and family therapy
- Meditation, deep breathing, and other relaxation techniques
- Mindfulness therapy
- Supportive-expressive therapy
- Art and music therapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Lifestyle recommendations like increased exercise and reduced caffeine
Is There a Way to Overcome Panic Attacks?
Panic attacks can be truly frightening. People routinely go to the emergency room when they’re in the midst of panic attacks because they think they’re having a heart attack and death is imminent. The best way to overcome panic attacks is to work on preventing them. The licensed anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX can help clients identify triggers and modify their cognitive patterns so their bodies never enter that extreme fight-or-flight state.
But if you do experience a panic attack, mental health professionals recommend that you do the following:
- Practice deep breathing, which can send a signal to your mind that your body is calm and safe.
- Bring what’s happening into your conscious awareness, i.e., you’re just experiencing a panic attack, not dying.
- Find a focus object.
- Use the 3 3 3 rule: Look around and identify three things you can see. Then identify three things you can hear. Then move three parts of your body. This exercise can help center your mind by engaging your senses.
- Use a personal mantra like “Everything is okay.”
Get Licensed Anxiety Therapy in Rowlett, TX
If you’ve been waiting to get premium anxiety therapy because you’re worried about cost or quality, wait no longer. The anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX are all fully licensed and highly qualified. In addition, Thriveworks:
- Accepts insurance, covering 98% of commercially insured Texas residents
- Offers help when and where you need it — often within the same week as scheduling, in person or online
- Makes getting therapy or psychiatry easy — you can quickly schedule online (or by phone)
- Provides personalized mental health care from trusted providers
Unchecked anxiety can drain joy from even the most perfect days by making someone anticipate the worst. Don’t let anxiety stop you from living your best life. Schedule online today or call us to reach a real human, not a voicemail. We look forward to hearing from you!