The writer Ralph Waldo Emerson once stated, “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” Perhaps this is true of spouses and other intimate partners as well: The only way to have a great partner is to be one. But relationships can become lopsided, and people drift apart. What do you do when your intimate relationship is no longer meeting your mutual needs?
The licensed couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX can help couples identify strengths and weaknesses in their relationships, so they can grow both as friends and intimate partners. Relationship counseling at Thriveworks is a safe, private, and compassionate way to promote mutual understanding and resolve conflict. Marriage and family therapy can also be used for regular maintenance of a relationship, so both partners will be able to cope better with any future stressors.
What Does a Couples Therapist Do?
Couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX use their extensive training to facilitate growth and rapport in relationships. They do this by addressing the following elements:
- Communication skills
- Conflict resolution
- Emotional management
- Addiction issues
- Sexual cycles
- Mutual support, especially for serious life changes like marriage or bereavement
Couples therapists don’t choose sides or favor one partner’s viewpoint over another. Their job is to look at issues from the perspectives of both parties, and find compromises and practical solutions. Above all, they want to help couples meet their therapy goals. These goals may include any of the following objectives:
- To feel more loved and appreciated.
- To model a healthier relationship for children.
- To reconnect and retrieve a spark.
- To blend families after a second union.
- To stop having the same fight.
- To improve one’s sex life.
- To identify where one partner may need additional support (perhaps through individual therapy for depression, anxiety, or another mental condition).
- To learn how to create boundaries.
- To learn to ask for what you need.
- To heal from an affair.
- To stop feeling stuck or stagnant.
- To cope with empty nest syndrome.
Can We See a Marriage Counselor Before We Get Married?
One popular form of couples counseling takes place in preparation for marriage. In premarital counseling, partners can discuss a wide range of topics that will be relevant to a future partnership. Premarital therapists at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX might help couples explore concerns like the following:
- The roles each partner expects to play in a marriage
- Where values overlap and deviate
- Notions about children and parenting
- Financial goals and spending patterns
- Communication styles
- Coping strategies
- Family backgrounds
- The couple’s strengths and weaknesses
- Wedding stress
- Family conflicts
How to Find the Best Couples Therapist or Marriage Counselor
It’s helpful if both parties can agree on a marriage counselor before beginning therapy sessions. Though what you and your partner are looking for in a therapist’s personality may vary widely, there are a few criteria that you can probably both agree on. For example:
- The counselor should be fully licensed in Texas. All the mental health providers at Thriveworks are fully licensed, nationwide.
- The therapist should be affordable. Thriveworks mental health providers accept most major health insurance plans and offer reasonable self-pay rates.
- The therapist should be able to meet with you in a way that’s comfortable and convenient. Thriveworks marriage counselors can meet with clients virtually through secure video conferencing software, or in-person at the modern office in Rowlett, TX. Or clients can choose a hybrid model.
- The therapist should have experience in the specific issues that you and your partner face. Thriveworks providers have experience working with a diverse array of spouses like LGBTQ, Christian, and interracial.
Reignite Your Spark with Marriage Counseling at Thriveworks in Rowlett, TX
When couples enroll in marriage therapy at Thriveworks, it can be a huge relief to know that they will now have professional insight into their relationship issues. They no longer have to navigate complex and difficult situations on their own. Sometimes married couples are just too emotionally close to an issue to see it clearly. Short term or long term marriage therapy is a highly effective way to strengthen bonds of love and friendship.
When you call the Thriveworks office in Rowlett, TX today, our highly trained staff can match you to an exceptional, experienced marriage counselor who can meet with you as early as tomorrow or the next day. Sessions can take place in-person, or online—even on evenings and weekends. Our friendly phone staff can answer all your questions about insurance and self-pay rates. They can also tell you about our numerous enrollment benefits, like email and phone access to your provider between sessions, and appointments that start on-time or early over 97% of the time.
Don’t wait to give you and your spouse the support you deserve. Call Thriveworks today.