The renowned psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross once stated, “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.” Instead of looking at mental health conditions as life sentences, you can reframe them as just one part of your journey. Having experienced a mental health condition, you can gain important insights into your own mind and become more understanding of other people’s suffering. It might be a difficult road, but it can be worth it. As Kubler-Ross states, “Beautiful people do not just happen.”
Psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Oklahoma City, OK have the compassion and expertise to help clients move through–and beyond–their mental health conditions to achieve their higher goals in life. Conditions like depression and anxiety don’t have to define someone. Great psychiatrists treat the person beneath the diagnosis. The exceptional psychiatrists at Thriveworks are experienced and effective partners, here to help you manage your mental health condition.
Treating Mental Health Conditions with Psychiatry
Many different mental health services exist to help people who are struggling with psychological and behavioral issues. Psychiatrists are physicians (MDs) who specialize in diagnosing, treating, and helping to prevent mental health conditions. They are different from psychologists in that they can prescribe psychotropic medications like antidepressants to treat underlying neurochemical issues. The licensed psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Oklahoma City, OK have these pharmaceutical tools at their disposal in addition to psychotherapy approaches, which can both be assets to Thriveworks clients who need mental health support.
How Do Psychiatrists Diagnose Their Clients?
People typically come to a psychiatry office because they think their symptoms might indicate a mental health condition. They might be exhibiting uncontrollable behaviors or their minds might fixate on certain ideas. They might be unable to pull themselves out of a psychological rut. The first thing a psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Oklahoma City, OK does with a new client is conduct a full evaluation. This evaluation can include the following elements:
- A comprehensive discussion of cognitive and behavioral symptoms
- A discussion of therapy goals
- Psychological and physical examinations
- Lifestyle questions about substance use, exercise, diet, sleep, etc.
- A full medical history
- Family medical history (mental health conditions sometimes have genetic as well as environmental and neurological components)
- Consultation with the individual’s other doctors and caregivers
- Mood charting
- Psychosocial evaluation of a person’s core relationships, support system, and home life
Types of Treatments for Mental Health Conditions
Psychiatrists are best known for prescribing medications, but they were also trained in numerous other therapies in medical school, including psychotherapy (talk therapy). The psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Oklahoma City, OK might use any of the following approaches to treat mental health conditions:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which modifies maladaptive thinking patterns and belief systems
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Substance abuse or addiction treatment
- Other evidence-based cognitive and behavioral therapies
- Lifestyle changes
- Psychosocial interventions
- Holistic treatments like meditation and deep breathing
- Mindfulness therapy
- Group therapy or couples counseling from a Thriveworks licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Medication management
What Mental Health Conditions Can Psychiatrists Treat?
Psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Oklahoma City, OK can treat many mental health conditions including:
- Depression (mild and major depressive disorders)
- Dysthymia (depression lasting longer than two years)
- Postpartum depression
- Panic disorder and panic attacks
- Type I bipolar disorder (manic depression)
- Type II bipolar disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Child psychiatric issues
- Specific phobias
- Self-harming behaviors
- Violent behaviors
- Sex addiction
- Adverse side effects from medication
- Substance abuse
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- Sleep disorders
Other health professionals like primary care doctors might refer a client to a Thriveworks psychiatrist, or a client will recognize early that their symptoms might have a psychological origin and could benefit from psychiatric treatment.
Book an Online Session with a Psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Oklahoma, OK
Psychiatric treatment can help people who suffer from a wide range of issues that threaten to disrupt daily functioning. If you are having trouble realizing your mental health objectives, it may be time to consult one of the exceptional, specialized psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Oklahoma City, OK.
Thriveworks doctors can meet with clients online at their convenience and comfort level. They are fully licensed and accept most major health insurance plans. They can also see clients quickly, usually within 24-48 hours of their initial booking. As an additional enrollment benefit, Thriveworks clients can access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
Don’t wait to get top-rated professional intervention for your mental health issues. Call the Thriveworks office today!