The writer Andrew Solomon once stated, “There is so much pain in the world, and most of these people keep theirs secret, rolling through agonizing lives in invisible wheelchairs, dressed in invisible body casts.” Because it’s not usually obvious when someone is suffering from a mental health condition, it can be more difficult for these people to get the support they need. Having depression isn’t like having a broken leg or arm. Having anxiety isn’t precisely like needing a wheelchair to get around. But these psychological conditions can also be debilitating. And the people experiencing them deserve to get the best care possible.
The licensed psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Davie, FL have the compassion, expertise, and meaningful insights to help their clients achieve their goals. The treatment of mental health conditions can be complicated. The process requires exceptional care and attention. At Thriveworks, all mental health providers are top-rated and highly qualified to shepherd their clients toward the best possible outcomes.
Is a Psychiatrist a Doctor Too?
Psychiatrists are indeed medical doctors (MDs). They graduated from medical school after completing specialized training in psychiatry. The psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Davie, FL are abundantly qualified to diagnose, treat, and help prevent mental health disorders. They do this through psychotherapy (talk therapy) and/or prescription medication. Psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners (PMHNPs) can also prescribe medication.
These additional Thriveworks providers treat mental health conditions as well, though they cannot prescribe medication:
- Psychologists (PhDs or PsyDs), who use psychotherapy (usually long term) to help clients understand themselves, their emotions, their behaviors, and their personal obstacles
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs), who provide solution-focused counseling for specific issues
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), who provide counseling and guidance for social services
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs), who treat individuals, couples, and families for interpersonal issues
What Do Psychiatrists Do?
Psychiatrists provide a wide range of treatment options and therapies to people experiencing difficulties with daily functioning due to psychological or behavioral conditions. Like all American psychiatrists, the board-certified providers at Thriveworks in Davie, FL use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) as a handbook for diagnosing and treating conditions like bipolar disorder (manic depression), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), personality disorders, and many other mental health issues.
Before a psychiatrist develops an effective treatment plan, they conduct a full client assessment. This comprehensive evaluation may include the following elements:
- Personal medical history
- Family medical history
- Psychological tests
- Discussion of cognitive and behavioral symptoms
- Discussion of lifestyle (nutrition, exercise, etc.)
- Discussion of client’s psychosocial environment
If the psychiatrist diagnoses the client, then treatment might include a number of different therapies, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Prescription medication like antidepressants
- Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT)
- Person-centered therapy (PCT)
- Strength-based therapy
- Exposure therapy, especially for specific phobias
- Systematic desensitization therapy
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Supportive-expressive therapy
- Lifestyle modifications that address nutrition and exercise
- Psychosocial interventions like support groups
- Motivation enhancement therapy (MET)
- Mindfulness therapy
- Meditation training
- Progressive muscle relaxation
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
At What Point Should Someone Seek Help for Mental Illness?
If a person’s daily functioning becomes impaired for reasons that can’t be explained by physical illness, then it may be time to see a qualified psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Davie, FL. Psychiatric symptoms can take a wide variety of forms. Sometimes it’s not obvious that one’s distress has neurological origins. Any of these symptoms could indicate that it might be wise to undergo a psychiatric evaluation:
- Extreme mood swings
- Acute sadness lasting longer than two weeks
- Extreme fears and worries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Atypical eating behaviors
- Sleeplessness (insomnia)
- Sleeping too much (hypersomnia)
- Repetitive behaviors
- Obsessive thoughts or fixations
Talk to an Exceptional Psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Davie, FL
Thriveworks psychiatrists in Davie, FL can meet with new clients quickly. Most people can be in session with a provider within 24-48 hours of their initial call or online booking. This means that you can call the office today and be talking to a premium psychiatrist as early as tomorrow. As an additional benefit, Thriveworks clients can access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
Thriveworks psychiatrists can meet with their clients through secure, HIPAA-compliant online counseling sessions. These sessions can take place at the client’s convenience, from the comfort of their own home. They are of the same length and quality as in-person psychiatry sessions. Clients can also see their psychiatrists online for follow-up appointments and medication management appointments.
Thriveworks providers accept most major forms of health insurance coverage. They also offer competitive self-pay rates to clients who are paying out of pocket. These options help keep psychiatric services affordable to everyone. Mental health care is health care, after all. Don’t neglect yours. Call Thriveworks today.