The psychologist Edward de Bono once stated, “Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way.” This is often an approach used to treat anxiety. Anxiety is a normal emotional response that humans use to prepare for potentially threatening situations. But people can experience unnecessary distress when they continue to feel anxious even after the threat has disappeared. In anxiety disorders, acute fears and worries tend to stick around and interfere with daily functioning. But anxiety therapy can help break up these maladaptive thinking and behavior patterns.
The skilled and compassionate anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Davie, FL offer a variety of evidence-based treatments to clients who seek help for their anxiety. The mental health providers at Thriveworks are all fully licensed and recruited from the top 4% of applicants in the Miami area. This means that Thriveworks clients receive premium care from the best professionals around. And the care our clients receive can be truly transformative. After all, anxiety disorders have a way of stealing joy from special activities, moments, and relationships. But anxiety is highly treatable.
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
The symptoms of anxiety can vary depending on what type of anxiety a person is experiencing. Common indications may include the following:
- Excessive, uncontrollable worries
- Muscle tension
- Racing thoughts
- Disturbed sleep
- Quality of being easily tired
- Attention or concentration difficulties
In addition, a person might experience physical symptoms like headaches or stomach aches/gastrointestinal issues. Someone with panic disorder may have a racing heart and shortness of breath that makes them feel as if they’re on the verge of a heart attack. They may sweat profusely or become nauseated. Mental health providers at Thriveworks in Davie, FL may use criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) as a guide for diagnosing and treating anxiety. Providers will rule out other medical conditions before diagnosing anxiety.
What Are the Best Treatments for Anxiety?
Skilled therapists like those at Thriveworks in David, FL use a number of tools to assess and treat people with anxiety. Each treatment plan is tailored to the client’s individual needs, but popular types of therapy include the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Exposure therapy, especially for specific phobias of objects or situations (also called systematic desensitization)
- Strength-based therapy
- Trauma informed therapy
- Anxiety medication like antidepressants, prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist
- Relaxation techniques like progressive muscle relaxation or deep breathing
- Supportive-expressive therapy
- Support groups
- Substance abuse counseling
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Nutrition and exercise recommendations
- Family therapy or couples counseling
Because anxiety and depression often occur together, Thriveworks anxiety therapists are also trained to recognize the symptoms of depression and potentially treat the conditions in tandem.
What Are the Differences Between the Anxiety Disorders?
The psychiatric profession classifies anxiety disorders according to symptoms, but there is often considerable overlap between these conditions. Here’s a guide to the different types of anxiety:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is extensive anxiety that causes significant distress and interferes in daily functioning.
- Panic disorder involves short periods of intense fear called panic attacks.
- Social anxiety disorder (social phobia) is when you feel considerable distress in social situations.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is characterized by mental fixations and repetitive behaviors.
- Separation anxiety is the acute fear of being separated from one’s attachment figures.
- Specific phobias comprise conditions like arachnophobia, the fear of spiders.
- Agoraphobia is characterized by a fear of one’s environment and the inability to escape.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a behavioral response to a traumatic event.
- Selective mutism is when a person becomes so anxious that they are unable to speak.
Many people have experienced these feelings to some degree, but only a mental health professional can give an accurate diagnosis and medical advice.
Speak to a Licensed Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks in Davie, FL
The mental health providers at Thriveworks in Davie, FL can meet with clients in-person at the modern office or virtually through secure, HIPAA-compliant online counseling sessions. Both types of session are of the same premium quality. Online counseling may especially help clients experiencing acute symptoms of anxiety, which can sometimes make it difficult to leave the house.
Thriveworks therapists can meet with new clients quickly, usually within 24-48 hours of their initial booking. This booking can take place online or on the phone during extended office hours with one of Thriveworks’ friendly staff members.
The top-rated providers at Thriveworks accept most major forms of health insurance coverage, helping to make their premium services accessible to anyone who needs them. For clients paying out of pocket, Thriveworks offers competitive self-pay rates.
Thriveworks clients can access their provider between sessions by phone or email. And our support staff is available to answer any questions or concerns that you may have. We look forward to matching you to an exceptional anxiety therapist today!