Christian Counseling in Newport News, VA — Christian Counselors, Coaches, Therapists
Maggie has been a Christian for as long as she can remember. When she was younger, she volunteered for Bible School, summer camps, and community events. Now that she is older and working full-time, she has less time to dedicate to church. This makes Maggie feel guilty and she is struggling to find a way to connect with God again. In addition to her spiritual struggles, Maggie is having a hard time coping with moving to a new city and having to make new friends. She wishes there was a way to get help for both. Luckily, there is.
When you have faith in God, you don’t have to worry about the future. You just know it’s all in His hands. You just go to and do your best. –Elder Bryan Mathison
Whether you are like Maggie and need help in your personal and spiritual life, or if you just want to strengthen your bond with God, Christian counseling is available to help you conquer all aspects of your life. At Thriveworks Newport News Counseling, we have Christian counseling services to help our clients through their mental health journey while pulling from the teachings of Christ. If you decide to work with a Christian counselor at Thriveworks Newport News, you can learn a myriad of tools to help you grow in faith and personal success.
What Is Christian Counseling?
Christian counseling is similar to traditional counseling in the sense that it provides our clients with the support and guidance they need to overcome life’s challenges. What makes Christian counseling different is that your counselor will integrate biblical teachings into clinical practice to help minister those who are hurting. With the combination of traditional psychological methods and Christian teachings, you can learn how to address your life issues in relation to your faith. Some of the more specific methods that your Christian coach will help you work through your challenges are:
- Education: It’s important as a Christian to continue to learn and grow with Christ. One of the most powerful tools we can give you is the gift of learning. Your Christian coach will help you learn more about Christianity, in turn strengthening your faith.
- Biblical Lessons: Another key element to Christian counseling is the ability to pull from the bible and apply scripture to our lives. There are so many different lessons in the bible that we can learn from. Together, you and your counselor will read the Bible. In some cases, your counselor may even give you “homework” by reading and finding a lesson to share during your next session.
- Prayer: Speaking to God and asking for His help in times of need is a large part of being a good Christian. It’s also important to thank God for all he has done for us and the gifts he has provided. If you are struggling through prayer or just want a little more guidance, your Christian coach will pray with you during your sessions.
- Traditional psychological methods: As the name implies, Christian counseling is a service to provide therapy to those who are going through the ups and downs of life. During your sessions, your therapist may try several different methods in order to connect with you on a deeper level. These may include talk therapy, art therapy, coping mechanisms, and more.
Christianity can be the anchor in a sea of turmoil and change. If you are looking for a counselor who also believes in the importance of having good faith, consider working with a Christian counselor at Thriveworks Newport News, VA. Our counselors have the education and qualifications needed to help you through all of life’s challenges.
Christian Counseling: Can it Help Me?
Great question! Consider these additional questions: Do you want to strengthen your bond with Christ? Do you have a challenge you are facing that is getting too hard to bear on your own? Do you want to learn how to pray in a more meaningful way? If you answered yes to any of these questions, Christian counseling might be a great option for you. Here are some of the reasons why our clients choose to get help:
- Depression, anxiety, and other mental illnesses
- Lack of faith
- Family drama
- Poor communication skills
- Coping with a physical disability
- Marriage or divorce counseling
- Self-identity concerns
- Child therapy
- Emotional abuse
- Addiction or substance abuse
The list could go on and on. Whatever challenge you are facing, chances are a Christian counselor can help. There is power in something that is greater than yourself and it shows that religion has great benefits to psychological and sociological areas. We can help you grow and get connected with your spiritual or religious community. Reach out today to get the help you deserve.
Schedule an Appointment with a Thriveworks Newport News, VA Christian Counselor
We understand that faith plays a vital role in the healing of emotional and physical pain. We want to empower you with the tools you need to overcome the trials and tribulations in your life. When you are ready, we’re here.
To get started, call our office at (757) 657-8088 to be connected with a scheduling specialist. We also have an online booking portal. In addition, we have extended hours for evenings and weekends.
Let’s start thriving!
Self Pay Rate: $99
Kimberly Green, LPC
Philosophy of Care
Kimberly Green is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (LPC, CSAC) in the state of Virginia with over 18 years of experience working in a variety of settings with children, adolescents, adults, couples, families, and veterans.
Kimberly earned her Master's degree in Counseling from Norfolk State University and specializes in cognitive behavioral (CBT), behavior modification, client-centered, rational-emotive, family systems (FST), and brief solution-focused therapies (BSFT). She is a strong advocate of empowering her clients to be the best version of who they are in order to succeed and go far physically and mentally. Kimberly is also dedicated to instilling in her clients the need to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem.
Kimberly strongly believes in treating her clients with respect, fairness, and compassion. She'll help you learn to live your life as though it’s golden, making the rest of your life the best part of your life—and only comparing yourself to the person you were yesterday.
Norfolk State University
Master of Arts in Counseling
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Substance Use Disorders
- Schizophrenia Disorder
- Schizoaffective Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).