Jacksonville Psychiatry—Mental Health Help in Florida
If you or someone you know struggles with a mental illness, you understand just how hard it can be to push forward. Mental disorders like addiction, anxiety, and depression, affect millions of people around the world each year. Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, fatigue, and anxiousness can bog you down and prevent you from living the happy, healthy, and successful life you picture for yourself.
Consider: You noticed last year around the holidays that your brother seemed “checked out.” Engaging in conversations with him was difficult, and he didn’t seem like his usual self. After talking to your parents about it, you realize that your brother is struggling with substance abuse. When you give him a call, he opens up about his shame and challenges and decides to get mental health help.
Psychiatrists can help people through a wide range of mental health disorders, including substance abuse as in the scenario above. Often those who struggle with some form of mood disorder or other challenges have a hard time opening up about their situations. It’s essential to open up and talk about what you’re experiencing so that you can receive a diagnosis and get the treatment you need.
At Thriveworks Counseling in Jacksonville, FL, we have a team of dedicated, highly qualified psychiatrists who are ready to help you work through the obstacles in your life. If there is something you’ve been struggling to manage, consider reaching out to our office as soon as possible.
Psychiatrists vs. Psychologists: Distinguishing the Two
It’s common to mix up what a psychiatrist does and what a psychologist does. While they do treat overlapping mental disorders, there are some considerable differences between the two. Here’s a brief breakdown:
- Psychiatrists are mental health professionals who go through extensive schooling and training to become medical doctors. They utilize various treatments, including psychological tests, psychotherapy, medication management, and brain stimulation therapies. In addition, psychiatrists are qualified to prescribe and manage medication.
- Psychologists are also mental health professionals. However, instead of receiving a medical degree, they obtain either a masters or doctorate in psychology instead. Through their extensive training and background, they provide counseling services such as psychotherapy, narrative therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and art therapy.
Both the psychiatrists and psychologists at Thriveworks Counseling in Jacksonville are dedicated to providing comprehensive care to their clients. If you feel like you might benefit from taking a medication, working with a psychiatrist would be the best option for your needs.
Focus Areas in Psychiatry
Unfortunately, there is a strong stigma around getting mental health help and perceiving it as a sign of weakness. This is simply not the truth. It’s essential that you get the guidance and support you need so that you are able to easily manage the difficult symptoms you’re experiencing.
Common reasons why someone might seek out psychiatric care includes:
- Constant negative thoughts
- Poor concentration and attention
- Difficulty coping with significant life changes
- Thoughts of hurting others
- Suicidal thoughts
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
- Intellectual disabilities and autism spectrum disorder
- Difficulty controlling emotions
- Negative body image and/or eating disorders
- Substance abuse and addictive behaviors
There are even instances where you know something feels off but you’re not sure why. When you choose to work with a psychiatrist at Thriveworks, know that you’ll receive individualized care that is based on your unique goals and needs.
In some cases, psychiatric medication might be beneficial to your overall mental health and wellbeing. Your psychiatrist will ensure the correct medication is prescribed to you and will walk you through how much to take, when to take it, and whether or not you should consume food with your medication.
When you need to speak with your provider from home, work, or wherever else you may be, we also have online psychiatrists. You can choose between telephone sessions or video sessions, both proving to be effective and reliable. Just let our scheduling specialists know which option you’d like to pursue.
Schedule an Appointment With a Psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Jacksonville, FL
Taking the next step and asking for help is half the battle. Once you’ve decided to get the help you need, you’ll start experiencing the benefits almost immediately. If you think you would be a good fit for psychiatry, consider reaching out.
We offer same- and next-day appointments, evening and weekend appointments, and flexible 23.5-hour cancellations. To get started, book online or give our office a call. Our team looks forward to working with you on this journey.