Depression Counseling Help in Houston, TX
For some people, the simple act of smiling can be arduous. The effort just to “turn that frown upside down” can be as challenging as climbing a mountain. Some people with depression can do it, but the smile they show on the outside masks real feelings of anguish and despair they feel on the inside.
Depression has a way of sucking the joy out of the world. It can turn everyday activities, such as work, cooking, social interactions, and sleeping into tiring, pointless exercises. It can make every single part of one’s day unenjoyable.
Fortunately, depression is a treatable condition. If you’re experiencing depressive thoughts or feelings, please consider reaching out for help and talk with one of our professionally trained therapists at Thriveworks in Houston, TX.
What Does Depression Feel Like?
Depression can cause severe symptoms that affect how you feel, think, and carry out your daily life. Some forms of depression are different and affect people in different ways. Symptoms might include:
- Feeling worthless
- Suicidal thoughts
- Feeling hopeless
- Lack of focus
- Irritability or moodiness
- Having difficulty sleeping
The examples mentioned above are common depression symptoms, but they don’t cover everything. If you have different symptoms, a trained professional can help provide you with a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
Let’s now turn to look at a few simple ways you can manage your depression symptoms today.
Tips to Help You Cope with Depression
As discussed, speaking with a therapist is a beneficial first start if you’re experiencing any of these symptoms. There are also several coping skills you can apply. Read the list below, and see if you can put any of these skills into practice today:
- Proper nutrition: We should all strive to eat nutritious and balanced meals. Adequate nutrition is especially crucial for those with depression. A healthy diet can provide many positive impacts on our mental health. Stick to healthy options like fruits and vegetables, stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, and avoid sweets and processed foods.
- Sleep: More than just the act of sleeping – try to get into a routine of healthy sleeping habits and patterns. Ensure your room and bed are comfortable, have a wind-down practice, and stay off electronic devices at least an hour before going to bed. Bonus tip: get in bed when you’re sleepy, not when you’re tired; this will train your brain to associate your bed with sleep.
- Mindfulness: This is the practice of being in the moment. Depression can often put us in a “time machine,” where we’re rehashing past setbacks or worrying about the future. By living in the moment, we stay grounded and focused on what’s right in front of us. In the present, we also free ourselves from negative thoughts and feelings and stay focused on enjoying life’s simple pleasures.
Scheduling Therapy at Thriveworks in Houston, TX
At Thriveworks, we believe that everyone can benefit from counseling with a skilled and caring professional. Our counseling is a flexible and convenient way to receive treatment for depression.
You don’t have to tackle this alone. Thriveworks counselors are leaders in their field, ready to work with you. To schedule an appointment, you can call our Houston, TX office today. We often have appointments available within 24 hours.